Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Default 1968 camaro rebody

I know there are a lot of opinions out there on this topic and i have read a lot of posts, but i am still unclear on rebodying a unibody. I may just not understand it completely, so bear with me...I plan on purchasing a complete 1968 camaro shell to rebody my 1968 camaro. Is there any component from the original body that i need to keep in order to reinstall the front clip or rear end? in fact, i am going to be purchasing a complete front/rear system from speed tech, so do i need any of the original car to complete this? I am also in the works of deciphering the state regulations on obtaining a "reconstruction" title for my car and it seems like i may need to hand on to the original car for documentation purposes? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Are you buying an aftermarket body? If so what does the manufacture say about getting their bodies registered? It'd also help to know what state you're in, some states are easy, others not so much.

I would think if you're getting a complete aftermarket body it will be ready to bolt the front and rear suspension to it. If you've got the room keep the spare body around until you had the majority of the new one together....it's easier, for me anyway, to see how it comes apart when it's going back together, that and you'll be needing every little nut, bolt, fastener blah diddy blah.

I'm not sure how Camaros are tagged but swapping numbers from one to the other seems pretty easy....may be illegal, who knows?

Is the original that bad?
Old 11-04-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythehand View Post
I know there are a lot of opinions out there on this topic and i have read a lot of posts, but i am still unclear on rebodying a unibody. I may just not understand it completely, so bear with me...I plan on purchasing a complete 1968 camaro shell to rebody my 1968 camaro. Is there any component from the original body that i need to keep in order to reinstall the front clip or rear end? in fact, i am going to be purchasing a complete front/rear system from speed tech, so do i need any of the original car to complete this? I am also in the works of deciphering the state regulations on obtaining a "reconstruction" title for my car and it seems like i may need to hand on to the original car for documentation purposes? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
"I am also in the works of deciphering the state regulations on obtaining a "reconstruction" title for my car and it seems like i may need to hang on to the original car for documentation purposes?" varies state to state. let us know how it works out for you.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
"I am also in the works of deciphering the state regulations on obtaining a "reconstruction" title for my car and it seems like i may need to hang on to the original car for documentation purposes?" varies state to state. let us know how it works out for you.
Can attest to this.

Just registered a 'kit car'. Was ridiculously easy in MN, can't say that for other states.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Swapping VIN tags is Federal crime. You can not take the tag off the old body and attach it to the new one
Old 11-04-2015, 10:04 AM

thanks for the replys. I will report back when i get everything figured out as far registering the car LEGALLY. I dont plan on swapping VIN's.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Swapping VIN tags is Federal crime. You can not take the tag off the old body and attach it to the new one
You're no fun I get it and kinda figured. Let me ask this, what is the process for these guys that buy a car, get it blasted and find the only usable part is the inner roof structure? All panels are replaced, aftermarket clip and rear set up, motor, transmission....How much of the original needs to be kept? Title, vin and?
Old 11-04-2015, 11:30 AM

How would the DMV know ?
It looked like a '68 camaro, now it looks like a '68 Camaro.
it has a VIN tag in the proper place. My state doesn't have inspections (only emissions) so there is no point in time where an "inspector" would questin the validity of the VIN tag. May vary in your state.
As long as there are no "mysteries" tied to the existing VIN and no other chicanery or another car doesn't pop up with the VIN.
OR -if you are a pro shop turning out multiple cars.
otherwise I would not worry about it.
But to the OP, you certainly need to do what you feel is best for your situation I don't disparage you at all for being 100% up and up.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:57 AM

What do you mean by re-body? If you are buying a shell like dyna-corn or from real deal steel, these are considered kit cars and they come with state of origin paper so you can get them registered. If you have the title for your car and are replacing some or all your sheet metal you don't have to get a different title, just fix it and enjoy. That's how it works in wva not sure where you are.

Last edited by bobcat68rs; 11-05-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
How would the DMV know ?
It looked like a '68 camaro, now it looks like a '68 Camaro.
it has a VIN tag in the proper place. My state doesn't have inspections (only emissions) so there is no point in time where an "inspector" would questin the validity of the VIN tag. May vary in your state.
As long as there are no "mysteries" tied to the existing VIN and no other chicanery or another car doesn't pop up with the VIN.
OR -if you are a pro shop turning out multiple cars.
otherwise I would not worry about it.
But to the OP, you certainly need to do what you feel is best for your situation I don't disparage you at all for being 100% up and up.
The rivets will be carefully examined and are a tip off to a swapped VIN tag.

Don