Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Default Know of any rear suspension options?

Well Im new here. The proposed project car is a 1968 Ford Falcon. My dad keeps saying he wants to get rid of it so Im going to most likley buy it from him.

Ive been looking for suspension options for these cars and so far Ive got two places that have the front coilover suspension, RR-S and Total Control, but no one makes anything for the rear. The after market revolves primarily around the '60-'65 years of the Falcon. I havent even been able to turn up performance lowering leaf springs.

There has to be some people modding these cars.

I also contmplated trying to replicate one of Total Controls bolt in rear assemblies for a Mustang, but lack the knowledge about suspension and tools to do such a thing.

What are some options for someone with a limited budget wanting to have a good rear setup?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:22 PM

Well an option Ive come across seems fairly simple. Buy new leaf springs (basically OEM I guess) and get them de-arched to achieve the right height (an inch or so lower) then get a rear sway bar from summit racing, along with new shocks (thinking Total Controls vari shock or some kyb's)

That would be for the rear, then for the front my thoughts would be Total Controls front coil over conversion.

Ive also become interested in 3-link setups, but am unsure of the difficulty/ expense of doing one since no one makes anything like that for this car.

I want the car to be very versatile. Daily driven but a good performer on the strip and auto-x. Basically what pro-touring is all about.

Last edited by stagen; 10-16-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM

If you don't find a "kit" specific to this year, you could always buy a rear clip from AME.

http://artmorrison.com/layout.php?y=3link/&x=index

It would require a little more fabrication, but take the guesswork out of the suspension design.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Eaton Detroit Springs www.eatonsprings.com can fix you up with rear springs made however you like. Pair them up with a Hellwig adj. rate rear swaybar. The Mustang unit should fit,we`ve used them on other Fords and the most we had to do is add or subtract a couple washers from the end link hardware to get everything lined up perfectly.
For the front I`d go with Total Control, we`ve always had very good luck with their parts on clients Mustangs and Falcons. FWIW we carry their full line and have worked with them for years. We`re just now working on getting their parts up on the website. Mark SC&C
Old 10-20-2008, 03:25 AM

rrs makes a rear setup for your car.Do you want it to handle good and damn good.You can do a lot with leaf springs traction bars and a watts link.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Depending on how far you want to go, we can do either a rear subframe or a full chassis for you. Some fabrication would definitely be required, but we can do air springs, shockwaves or coil-overs and a 3-link, triangulated 4-bar, 4-bar or 4-link. It would also be set up for the ride height you want and the tire and wheels that you are using.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMorrison View Post
Depending on how far you want to go, we can do either a rear subframe or a full chassis for you. Some fabrication would definitely be required, but we can do air springs, shockwaves or coil-overs and a 3-link, triangulated 4-bar, 4-bar or 4-link. It would also be set up for the ride height you want and the tire and wheels that you are using.
I installed a full mustangsplus suspension in my mustang whish i sbasically the same car.. and between all the extra welding for subframe connectors, rust in the floor uner the rear seat, tower strengthening, lowering controllarms.. and so on im sure that if i were to do it again id get a full chassis.. get the right stance, big tires and modern car handling in one go.... but its not as cheap as keeping it stock.. but the value of the car as a driving machine is infinitely higher