Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Default Thermal arc 185- thoughts?

been looking around at getting a compact TIG, went to a local store and they had one of these that theyve had for a while, brand new, said he would give it to me for 2k with a foot pedal and torch. i cant seem to find any reason to not buy this, as i havent seen any bad reviews on them yet..
Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 PM

I don't have that machine and don't have experience with a TIG at all but I do have a Thermal Arc Fabricator 251 MIG and really like the machine. It's very powerful but can be adjsuted down to work with thinner metal as well. I bought it used and have had zero issues with it besides the liner so I feel the quality is very good. Again, not specific to the machine you refer to but more in general for Thermal Arc... hope this helps.

STeve
Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 PM

Compare it against the HTP Invertig 220. I ended up with the Invertig delivered at $2550 with extra consumables (rod) and 25' torch lead. Service and support has been above average.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM

I've been looking at the Thermal Arc 181i, which does both Mig & Tig. It's priced around $800, add in gas, wire, etc and you're looking at around $1300 for the whole setup. It's not a heavy-duty welder by any means, but for light fabrication, sheet metal, even stainless exhaust, stuff like that it's probably just fine. It's a 180 amp machine so you can do up to 1/4". I also looked at the Miller Diversion 165 which is Tig only. It's priced a little higher but is probably a better machine. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much welding you're going to do.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I've got a Diversion 165 and I've been happy with it short of an intermittant glitch where it shuts off randomly as I hit the pedal. Just have to shut the machine off... turn it back on and its fine but too random to bother sending in.

Welding wise it does great once I got past my learning curve going from MIG to TIG. It's very basic and I do worry once I have to step up to a "real" TIG welder with all of the knobs and buttons
Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM

I have a Thermal Arc 95S. Very compact. I am learning how to TIG and it doesn't seem too hard. I was really doing well but melting the tungsten. After reviewing the whole setup, I realized I had 75/25 mix Argon/CO2. I just got a 100% Argon tank and have not had a chance to try it yet. I know the welds I did with the mix were pretty good. I can only anticipate with the 100% Argon, it will only be better. So far, I would reccomend the machine without a doubt. $405.00 delivered to my door. (EBay). The only downside is, you cannot weld aluminum, but for $400.00 it's a great starter machine.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Don't buy any TIG machine that you can not weld aluminum with. That's the beauty of TIG is that you can weld all metals (SS/Steel/Aluminum) because that's how we build our cars.

Aluminum takes lots of heat (AMPS) and you'll use thicker aluminum to build a bracket etc than that same bracket would be made with steel or stainless steel. Figure 1/4" - and size appropriately if you can afford it.

As you get better with MIG or TIG - you'll find yourself being LESS limited in the stuff you want to tackle.... so don't plan to limit yourself -- rather -- plan to have this machine for years and years and grow.

Having said all the above - I'm unfamiliar with the machine you're looking at. My comments are GENERAL about what to think about....

I'd rather have a used great machine than a useless new machine. We don't use these enough to EVER wear them out.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM

Thermal arc's aren't bad machines I used to run one at my old job welding motorcycle frames every day, keep in mind that was mild steel DC welding so i cannot speak for its AC capabilities. However in my shop currently every welder I own is miller and always will be but thats because I've had fantastic luck with them.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM

I have had the Thermal Arc 185 TIG for 8+ years. It is an awesome machine! Absolutely zero complaints here
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM

I have had mine for at least five years. I absolutely love it, and have had no problems.