Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2012, 02:29 AM

Default any experience with RRS rack and pinion?

There are not many info on the RRS rack and pinions.
Anyone using it?
I am looking for a good rack and pinion for my FE powered Cougar.
I heard that the Randall's rack would not work with modified lowered suspension so now I turned to the high price section. Total Control or RRS?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM

TCP would be my first choice. RRS is a modified OEM rack. Retro Racks is another option. I talked with them for awhile at SEMA last year. Probably the best rack for an early ford jsut expensive and needs custom brackets.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
TCP would be my first choice. RRS is a modified OEM rack. Retro Racks is another option. I talked with them for awhile at SEMA last year. Probably the best rack for an early ford jsut expensive and needs custom brackets.
Bryce

Aren't you running an aftermarket integrated PS box? For an early Ford that you can't modify the frame on (per Medbali countries codes) I think I'd just rollerize the idler arm, a bump steer kit and run a box like yours.

I believe either rack you mention will cause you issues with header clearance on your FE.

I know Ripped and his 67 Fastback also runs an nice integrated box with stock type steering linkage.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
Bryce

Aren't you running an aftermarket integrated PS box? For an early Ford that you can't modify the frame on (per Medbali countries codes) I think I'd just rollerize the idler arm, a bump steer kit and run a box like yours.

I believe either rack you mention will cause you issues with header clearance on your FE.

I know Ripped and his 67 Fastback also runs an nice integrated box with stock type steering linkage.
Integrated PS box? Like Borgeson's?
I have the Opentracker's rollerized idler arm and a Baer tracker on the shelf but have'nt tried yet. Should I try that combo first?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 AM

Im using the RRS on my Maverick. Leaks like crazy and has been rebuilt 3 times. Gateway Performance Suspension has corrected the problems and now sells a similar kit here in the U.S.. Other problems though with this rack are that it places the rack further back towards the transmission which likely would become a problem with header clearance and also keeps you from running larger tire sizes. Im maxed out with a 265/35-18. Give Gateway a call and talk to them about it. They run it on their test Mustang.

I believe Ridetech 69 Mustang uses the TCP rack and he obviously has no issues making it work for him. This rack mounts further forward and replaces the V8 belly bar. Therefore it should have less impact on header and tire size selection.

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberGT View Post
Im using the RRS on my Maverick. Leaks like crazy and has been rebuilt 3 times. Gateway Performance Suspension has corrected the problems and now sells a similar kit here in the U.S.. Other problems though with this rack are that it places the rack further back towards the transmission which likely would become a problem with header clearance and also keeps you from running larger tire sizes. Im maxed out with a 265/35-18. Give Gateway a call and talk to them about it. They run it on their test Mustang.

I believe Ridetech 69 Mustang uses the TCP rack and he obviously has no issues making it work for him. This rack mounts further forward and replaces the V8 belly bar. Therefore it should have less impact on header and tire size selection.
Thanks for the info
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Yeah I cannot speak to the rack conversions.
The only one that I would use, is the TCP system, which is about $2500-3K

I am using the Borgeson conversion. From talking to the tech support, I believe it's a converted GM box, that's been resplined. It uses the factory (manual steering) pitman arm, and unlike the rack conversions, does give you full turning radius.

I used a Summit chrome gm style PS pump $150 +/- with a v pulley.

It's been trouble free, and has more ground clearance than the racks (my car is very low)

The rest of the suspension;
Cut BB springs, opentracker rollerized perch
TCP upper and lower control arms
Arning drop
Baer bumpsteer kit
RT strut rods, Bilstein shocks
My own home built eccentric eliminators
I do my own alignment, with a laser and an agressive camber and caster

BTW when I discovered a slight leak, in the first box, Borgeson took the other one back and air-freighted (express) the replacement box. I had it in 2 days.
I made my own braided lines.

I am using the shallowest oil pan available for the FE (keep in mind my engine is lowered 1" to lower the center of gravity)
The TCP rack, would be the same elevation, as the bottom of my pan, so you can see the ground clearance issue, on a lowerd car. If you are stockish ride height, it should be okay.

Good luck

Last edited by Ripped; 09-11-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
Yeah I cannot speak to the rack conversions.
The only one that I would use, is the TCP system, which is about $2500-3K

I am using the Borgeson conversion. From talking to the tech support, I believe it's a converted GM box, that's been resplined. It uses the factory (manual steering) pitman arm, and unlike the rack conversions, does give you full turning radius.

I used a Summit chrome gm style PS pump $150 +/- with a v pulley.

It's been trouble free, and has more ground clearance than the racks (my car is very low)

The rest of the suspension;
Cut BB springs, opentracker rollerized perch
TCP upper and lower control arms
Arning drop
Baer bumpsteer kit
RT strut rods, Bilstein shocks
My own home built eccentric eliminators
I do my own alignment, with a laser and an agressive camber and caster

BTW when I discovered a slight leak, in the first box, Borgeson took the other one back and air-freighted (express) the replacement box. I had it in 2 days.
I made my own braided lines.

I am using the shallowest oil pan available for the FE (keep in mind my engine is lowered 1" to lower the center of gravity)
The TCP rack, would be the same elevation, as the bottom of my pan, so you can see the ground clearance issue, on a lowerd car. If you are stockish ride height, it should be okay.

Good luck
Nice car
How was the Borgeson conversion? Was it easy to install without problems?
What headers do you use?
Does it give you much better steering? Does it have the same 16:1 ratio as the modern rack and pinions?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yep, I've got a TCP power rack in my 69 Mustang since about 2005. No problems.
TCP uses a Woodward servo that has all kinds of feel and bias adjsutments for those who are so inclined.

We just did a 66 Shelby clone with our Tru Turn on it that uses a Borgenson box. It is very nice as well...the car drives like a Mercedes!

If you have the budget and want to tune the feel of the sterring, go with the TCP. If you want to bolt it on and forget it, use the Borgenson box.

I have researched a few of the other R&P conversions out there [as in actual installation and use]. They ranged from adequete to dangerous.
Air Ride Technologies, Inc.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Yep, I've got a TCP power rack in my 69 Mustang since about 2005. No problems.
TCP uses a Woodward servo that has all kinds of feel and bias adjsutments for those who are so inclined.

We just did a 66 Shelby clone with our Tru Turn on it that uses a Borgenson box. It is very nice as well...the car drives like a Mercedes!

If you have the budget and want to tune the feel of the sterring, go with the TCP. If you want to bolt it on and forget it, use the Borgenson box.

I have researched a few of the other R&P conversions out there [as in actual installation and use]. They ranged from adequete to dangerous.
Thanks for the comment.
I think I will try the Borgeson box first.