Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-20-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Stock springs to 750lb - 67 Camaro

Just wanted to share my experience with going from a stock big block spring that had one coil cut, to 750lb Hypercoil springs with adjustable spacers:

I realize a lot goes into selecting spring rates, but seeing as this is by no means a race car, and will likely never handle very well with an all iron big block, I searched through the forums and decided on 750s so the car will at least be somewhat stable at speed compared to the old combo which felt like a wet noodle, partly due to the worn out 20 year old Monroe shocks. These were replaced with the Hotchkis valved Bilsteins, which I'm quite impressed with.

Long story short, the ride is still quite nice, considering I was expecting it to feel like a gokart. It is noticeably different, but not to the extent I thought it would be. I have no quantifiable data, but just wanted to post this up for those concerned about the ride quality of such a combo since I saw that was almost always a question people had when searching through the forum. Though shocks I'm told are largely responsible for ride quality, 750 is as light as I would consider for any big block car based on my experience.

One day once my finances are better off I plan to have someone help me select the ideal spring rates all around, but for now, this was a nice improvement for not that much money.