Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM

Default EPA Seeks to Prohibit Conversion of Vehicles Into Racecars, appears legit.

This may be worth keeping eye on. SEMA is already aware of the situation. Read the SEMA article as it could effect our Pro-Touring cars used in competition based on the way it is worded.

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 02-09-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM

You'd think they'd learn not to mess with our cars.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:20 PM

The sky isn't falling.

Quote:
EPA spokeswoman Laura Allen released the following statement on the recently uncovered EPA language:

People may use EPA-certified motor vehicles for competition, but to protect public health from air pollution, the Clean Air Act has – since its inception – specifically prohibited tampering with or defeating the emission control systems on those vehicles.The proposed regulation that SEMA has commented on does not change this long-standing law, or approach. Instead, the proposed language in the Heavy-Duty Greenhouse Gas rulemaking simply clarifies the distinction between motor vehicles and nonroad vehicles such as dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Unlike motor vehicles – which include cars, light trucks, and highway motorcycles – nonroad vehicles may, under certain circumstances, be modified for use in competitive events in ways that would otherwise be prohibited by the Clean Air Act.EPA is now reviewing public comments on this proposal.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 PM

The issue is a bit more convoluted than you may think. The EPA is still insisting that cars sold and equipped with emissions systems may be raced but they must retain the emissions systems. It seems that SEMA and the EPA are in disagreement on what the regulation is really saying. While this may not pose an immediate threat, it does warrant watching.

Here is another article from another source. The EPA regulation may or may not be a potential problem for all of us but we need to keep an eye on it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ctually-means/

I would also encourage everyone here to become a member of the SEMA Action Network. Membership is free and the more SAN members the better.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...tpage&g=semaga
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 02-09-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Good thing I don't race.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM

From the article you linked.

Quote:
This clarification does not affect EPA's enforcement authority. It is still illegal to tamper with or defeat the emission control systems of motor vehicles. In the course of selecting cases for enforcement, the EPA has and will continue to consider whether the tampered vehicle is used exclusively for competition. The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads.
Emphasis added. From this, it sure sounds like (as we stated above) the EPA doesn't plan on confiscating your trailered, track-only race vehicle—only that, as has been the case since emissions regulation began, you're breaking the law if you remove federally-mandated emissions controls from your street-driven car.
Doesn't seem convoluted at all. :shrug:

In case you didn't see this on CC

Quote:
JG Pasterjak
4 hrs ·
Please stop with the "EPA is trying to ban high-performance parts" thing already. Disappointingly enough, I see some fellow journalist types falling for it as well. They clearly don't remember that this is basically the same rider that's been around for decades that has basically served as sacrificial text for various EPA bills over the years in various forms. Essentially it becomes a way for SEMA to flex its muscle a bit and for the EPA to gain a better understanding of the aftermarket. Actually, at one point, SEMA was actually lobbying for increased restrictions on aftermarket parts because they believed it would raise the standards of the manufacturing and shake loose the crap from the aftermarket. TL;DR: Don't panic. Buy quality parts and support the companies that make them and we'll all be fine.
......and from another forum.

Quote:
I contacted an EPA lawyer who autocrosses a Vette in DC. He says that this was designed to close the loophole where someone makes an emissions mod on a car, claims it is a competition car, but then drives it on the street and state laws allow that. That's all. Maybe it got garbled but the massive internet freak out? Unjustified.

I haven't seen anywhere where the EPA said "we are coming for your racecars." If Beyonce had just flopped a boob out Sunday night, we wouldn't even be talking about this because SEMA never would have made it to the top of anyone's facebook feed.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I just signed and was going to post this glad someone got to it.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 AM

SEMA Action Network has issued a legislative alert and started a petition to remove this language from the EPA regulations. Apparently SEMA feels this issue is more important than some of the members here do.

SIGN NOW!

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=...paign=LegAlert
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 02-10-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:36 PM

I signed the petition this morning. They need 30k plus more signatures.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM

How in the world would they police it? I know when I converted my Fox body Mustang into a full-on road race car, I stopped renewing the registration. No registration, no smog checks, no nothing. And that was in California. I would think a PT car that is registered and licensed would have to pass smog no matter what, even today.