Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Extended travel kit needed? 67' GM A-Body

Started looking into the extended travel front coil-over brackets from Global west. I had planned on doing just the bolt in RideTech coil-overs, spindles, lowers, and maybe switch to the SPC uppers. I'm a big fan of low ride height, i'm just wondering if anyone else seems to be running out of travel on their setups.

Would it be a safe bet to just go with them just in case? Also I am not a fan of the vertical stud mount system, it just doesnt look like it would perform or last very long. So that may be another reason to go the extended travel kit.

Lets hear your thoughts!

1967 GTO, LS2 T56

WILWOOD FORGELINE RIDETECH
$10k Budget driver/ track car
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Supporting Vendor

If you use our coil over and lower control arm there is no reason to add shock stroke as you'll never use it.

The front suspension moves 5 inches at the wheel. . .the shock moves roughly half that (2:1 motion ratio), so it moves only 2.5 inches. You can put a 10 inch stroke shock in there, but there's no point to doing so.

The stud mount has been used successfully on thousands of cars running our systems. If you look closely at the design you will see a Delrin sphere that rides in an aluminum housing. Even if the parts were to fail due to compression forces it still works as the sphere just gets bigger (during testing I pressed one with 10K lbs and it slightly deformed the aluminum, but still worked.)

You can weld in an upper mount if you just have to have a ring mount, but there's no real gain so long as your OE frame is in good shape. If the frame is rusted, corroded, cracked, etc of course you may see a failure.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Awesome! I didn't figure there would be any gain from it as long as I used all your parts.I just came across these brackets yesterday, so I figured I would ask! Thanks!

1967 GTO, LS2 T56

WILWOOD FORGELINE RIDETECH
$10k Budget driver/ track car