Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Can I attach console to the dash?

I'm going to start building a console tomorrow and am just wondering if it's okay to attach the console directly to the dash, either welded or by bolts or if it should be just close to it? I thought I read once that it shouldn't be attached, but I've seen some consoles that are attached and most new cars have it attached. Thanks in advance.

Pro Touring 68 Acadian(Nova)
Speedtech subframe with high clearance control arms
Prodigy Bar rear suspension
Ridetech single adjustable coilovers
Wilwood 12.2" brakes
New Gen Splitters
LS3 and TKO600

Link to my build: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=14349

Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 PM

Attached is fine.

I've built a few attached, a few not attached. Never had any issues either way. Even if you didn't want it attached in the end, you can attach parts of the console to the dash for the build process, then have it separated at final install.

Most new cars have the consoles attached to the dash.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

Yes you can, It will help hold console in place also. We do it both ways depending on look were after
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 PM

As long as you build in clearance/dampening for the torsional flex that will occur between the vertical and horizontal planes it should work.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies guys. What do I need to accommodate for the flex?

Pro Touring 68 Acadian(Nova)
Speedtech subframe with high clearance control arms
Prodigy Bar rear suspension
Ridetech single adjustable coilovers
Wilwood 12.2" brakes
New Gen Splitters
LS3 and TKO600

Link to my build: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=14349

Old 03-11-2011, 04:18 PM

I have a little bit of experience and (I guess) a lot to say about adding a console. lol
I have a couple of Camaro's and one is attached from the factory while the other is not. One has the A/C controls and radio located in the upper portion of the console and I believe that it's attached to provide support for the added weight and also for when you're moving the controls around. That dash also has a notch to receive the console which I believe adds some sideways support.

IMO, attaching it can create a place where it might bind, can make fitment more complicated, and where squeaks can occur. One part is attached to the floor while the other is attached to the firewall, so there is going to be some movement, and the connection between the dash and console probably isn't going to be sturdy enough to hold the floor and firewall in place. One way I see to accommodate for the flex and fitment is to use elongated holes so they can slip a little, but that's where your squeaking may come from.

It will require more accurate fabrication to line up with the shifter, parking brake lever (if located there), possible heating ducts, the dash itself and any other permanent features. One way around this that I've noticed is using a pod between the console and the dash.

I wouldn't weld it together because you may need to access behind the dash or under the console later on.

I haven't built a console but have replaced and modified them enough to have a pretty good idea of why they did what they did when they were designed. One had a unique radio that didn't work so I had to fit a standard console in it's place. I also added a temporary cup holder and accessory plug-in for the glove box. With what I want to do I'll probably end up fabricating something up eventually. I'm thinking that locating everything where I want it, and then building the console around that is the best way to go. BTW, the factory consoles aren't always symmetrical on the tunnel. I'm not sure why that is though.
That's my 2cents.