Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 AM

I had a '64 in the same teal/white as the truck above....never should have sold that.

Some stupid 16yr old thought he needed a four-by-four and bought a crapcan '76 chevy 1/2-ton that was lifted by a band of retarded-one-handed-monkies. I think I spent as much money on u-joints as I did on gas during the 6mos I owned it.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 AM

I first learned to drive in one of these, sitting on my dads lap
Attached Images

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM

My dad taught me how to drive in a 70 something CJ5/V8/3 speed with side exhaust on the beach. You can still drive on that strecth of sand now. For drivers ed we had a chevy citation. I'm sure Jay Hilliard can chime in on that car as well. wHAT A TURD.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 AM

a Porsche 924
Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 AM

I learned to drive an automatic in a 1985 Dodge Aries.

I learned to drive an manual in a 1986 IROC.

I learned to drive in the snow in a 1991 Audi 5000 CS Quattro. Even though it was a boat, I felt like the best rally driver in the world.

LS1 Brakes|Wilwood Prop Valve|LS1 Master Cylinder|Aluminum Driveshaft|LS1 3.42 Rearend|Adj PHB|Adj LCA|LCARB|Koni Struts|Koni Shocks|Adj Caster/Camber Plates|STB|10 Spoke SS Wheels|PHB Relo Kit|Adj TA|SFC|ARAP Based Prom|B&M Short Shifter|Underdrive Pullies|SMOG!|AIR!|Rag Joint!|Magnaflow|Ported Plenum|Misc Stuff
Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 AM

First drive was a '63 4 door Fairlane with a 3 on the tree when I was 15. My friends dad took us up to the Junior High parking lot and taught us to shift it and parallel park, how to tell where the clutch should release and about engine braking. He put a couple of Green Stamps (remember those!) on the hood to show where your right side wheels were on the road. After that I worked at a Church camp above Gunnison and the Caretaker took a liking to me and let me drive the '39 Fordson tractor they had to take firewoood to the cabins. There wasn't any E-Brake so on the hills by the cabins you had to set the front of it it against a tree! It had a power take off setup connected to a large saw blade he'd use to cut wood with. Three pedals on the floor - 2 brakes and a clutch. No synchros for the gears but you could stop (had to to shift gears) and put it in 3rd, let out the clutch and it would take off! After that my sisters 3 speed '60 Corvair. Another friend took me out in it and put me on a hill and said go! One time I tried to "lay rubber" with it taking off and the fan belt flew off but didn't break. My Senior year I had a '57 Chevy with a 4 speed with no Power Brakes or Steering. In the winter there wasn't a heater so my Dad taught me how to defrost the windows with the windows part-way open. The summer after my senior year (1970) I worked in a Pontiac/Jeep/AMC/ Rover dealer and got to learn to drive all sorts of hot rods! Good times.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM

A 64 Pontiac Parisienne. Essentially a Canadian built Grand Prix powered by a Chevy 283. For some reason most of the Canadian Pontiacs had French names. We also had a 62 Catalina that was called a Laurentian.

Don
Old 02-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Does go carts as a kid count? The first car I remember driving was my parents caravan. I was around 13 and would bring it to the front door of the church parking lot. I had drove some POS in drivers ed. Learn to use a clutch in dads isuzu trooper when I was 15.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM

First car was a 1/4 Midget I bought around 10 years old with lawn mowing money. First full size was a 64 Suburban at 11-12 I drove around a construction site back when they let kids work.

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM

This is my first car 1968 camaro and current project, my dad let me buy it when I was 15 and learned to yard drive it first. It did not take me long to pick up that 3 speed
Attached Images