Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Difference in MOSER 12 Bolt and GM

So here is my current situation. After finishing up my DSE Mini-Tub Im ready to commit to a rear suspension set up. I do not want to run leaf springs and leaning toward pulling the trigger on the Quadralink. I have read the reviews, compared different brands and re-read the reviews. For my limited amount of track time and strip time I think that this will suit me well.

I have a GM 12 bolt out of a 1968 Camaro, well actually two, with one sitting in the shop floor that came out of mine. It has a 3:73 gear and leaf spring mounts, all stock. I have seen most rebuilds using the 9", a Fab 9 or other front loading housing that made me wonder why people are passing up the 12 bolts besides the fact that a gear change is easier.

I will have to have mine blasted, narrowed, brackets welded on, still weighing the pros/cons of have the big bearing ends installed, powder coated and gear rebuilt. With the amount of work that still needs to be done to mine would it be most cost effective to go with a Moser 12 that is already built or what is even the difference between the Moser and GM 12 bolt? I have searched but cannot find a comparison between the two 12's only the 12 bolt vrs the 9".

Originality is obviously not a concern of mine and would love to find a deal on a used rear end already set up for the quadralink. So, before I make my purchase this week can anyone offer any insight on this?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:02 PM

Part of my decision to go the 9" route was that I wanted floating hubs and to convert my old 12 bolt to floater ends was more expensive than a new Moser 9" floater. As for the suspension, I went with the Chassisworks G-Link but it ships with the wrong shocks IMO. Ridetech also has a nice triangulated 4 link. The drawback to the Quadralink is that the install is more involved than the Chassisworks or Ridetech. One other note, if you buy a new Moser 9" I think Moser can weld on the necessary suspension mounts.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"