Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Default OH MY GOD! Barett Jackson!

Did any of you see that LS6 Chevelle Convertible (driven by ray Allen) on Barret-Jackson? It sold for $1,150,000, had only 61 miles on it 1/4 mile at a time, supposedly never lost a race it entered that season (1970). Two people ended up bidding on it from $600,000 to the $1,150,000 price it sold for. The one guy walked away from it at the end, and my question is if you can afford to drop 1.15 Mil on a car, why not keep bidding till you win? I mean whats another quater Mill if you have that much cash. Anyway it was crazy..... hope some of you saw that show. There was also a Hemo '71 Cuda that went for $650,000+, it was supposed to be Barrett-Jacksons highest grossing day in history. I know they don't show every car that goes across the auction block, but I don't recall seeing one that went for less than $250,000.
Where do these people get there money? I mean my God... there are some filthy rich people out there.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikryd
Did any of you see that LS6 Chevelle Convertible (driven by ray Allen) on Barret-Jackson? It sold for $1,150,000, had only 61 miles on it 1/4 mile at a time, supposedly never lost a race it entered that season (1970). Two people ended up bidding on it from $600,000 to the $1,150,000 price it sold for. The one guy walked away from it at the end, and my question is if you can afford to drop 1.15 Mil on a car, why not keep bidding till you win? I mean whats another quater Mill if you have that much cash. Anyway it was crazy..... hope some of you saw that show. There was also a Hemo '71 Cuda that went for $650,000+, it was supposed to be Barrett-Jacksons highest grossing day in history. I know they don't show every car that goes across the auction block, but I don't recall seeing one that went for less than $250,000.
Where do these people get there money? I mean my God... there are some filthy rich people out there.
They are ruining this for me by driving up musclecar prices. You gotta be a millionaire to play today.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 PM

Tell me about it... I mean I have seen cars that would not have been able to be given away 10 years ago being sold for up to $10,000. Guess thats what happens when the demand is greater than the supply. well, guess I should be greatful that i was able to get my latest 67 camaro when I did 4 years ago. If I had bought the same car now, who knows how much it would cost me.
Damn the person who thought up Supply and Demand!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Site Sponsor

UHM, I beleive you are watching a rerun here, the auction was in January, unless I have missed something.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:52 AM

I'm sure it was a rerun... that does not change the fact that the Chevelle still sold for $1,150,000
Old 11-04-2006, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Tell me about it... I mean I have seen cars that would not have been able to be given away 10 years ago being sold for up to $10,000. Guess thats what happens when the demand is greater than the supply. well, guess I should be greatful that i was able to get my latest 67 camaro when I did 4 years ago. If I had bought the same car now, who knows how much it would cost me.
Damn the person who thought up Supply and Demand!
True, but there are still some good cars out there for reasonable money. Especially when you consider that, since we are going to cut, rearange, and otherwise modify the hell out of them, we don't need original blocks, big engine options, and rare factory options. An old lady six is just as good!

Beyond that, the trend that has brought the muscle car prices up has also enabled the production of so many reproduction parts as well as the production of all of the modified parts we love so much. If '69 Camaros were still selling for $500 in great shape, no one would want to spend $6000 on an aftermarket sub-frame! Thus, a lot of the companies and parts on which we love to dump our money wouldn't exist!

Just a thought.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442
Old 11-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouring442
True, but there are still some good cars out there for reasonable money. Especially when you consider that, since we are going to cut, rearange, and otherwise modify the hell out of them, we don't need original blocks, big engine options, and rare factory options. An old lady six is just as good!

Beyond that, the trend that has brought the muscle car prices up has also enabled the production of so many reproduction parts as well as the production of all of the modified parts we love so much. If '69 Camaros were still selling for $500 in great shape, no one would want to spend $6000 on an aftermarket sub-frame! Thus, a lot of the companies and parts on which we love to dump our money wouldn't exist!

Just a thought.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442
All good points...but when I was younger (and poorer) you could get a solid 69 Camaro than ran perfectly for 5 grand--and they were plentiful. I did a search through Recycler yesterday for a 250 mile radius for a 69 Camaro and 1 car came up. Guess I'm just bitter because I'm trying to find a car right now.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Supporting Member

Cool

Quote:
Two people ended up bidding on it from $600,000 to the $1,150,000 price it sold for. The one guy walked away from it at the end, and my question is if you can afford to drop 1.15 Mil on a car, why not keep bidding till you win? I mean whats another quater Mill if you have that much cash.
Fred is practically my neighbor (he lives in the next town over, but when you live in a town of 150 people, everybody's your neighbor ) I went to school with his kids, and have been in his shop numerous times.

He made his fortune buying and selling Mopars... He's a dealer, but has a few that he keeps for his personal collection. This is probably something he was planning to re-sell, which is why he didn't bid to the moon on it. I think he brought 6 other cars home from B.J. then.

This summer he had a '71 HEMI Cuda ragtop that he sold for somewhere around $4M What's cool is, if I see the shop doors open or lights on when I drive by, he's always friendly and willing to let me walk through and see what he's got!
Old 11-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:

three words, home equity loans.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:34 PM

Default I got to see it in person

Can't wait for January!
Attached Images