Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Selling vehicle on ebay

Is there a way to limit scammers from buying your car on ebay if you have a buy it now price? I ask because I had a suburban listed with a buy it now and he used it. here is the body of the email I got from him, also he had no feedback.

I will be sending payment of US $500.00 via Money Order/CashierCheck shortly.

i am relocating to United Kingdom and i need you to help me on this. As i am preparing for last exams in My Master,s Degree And at the same time balancing the account of the company i am currently working for. your payment will be via cashier check or money orders on United States Banks cashable the same day and the shipping cost will be included. So as soon as you receive it, cash it and will make arrangement for shipping. Reconfirm your address for me to issue your payment and send

Thoughts?

Sean
Old 10-25-2006, 02:47 PM

Most definitely a scam! Don't deal with anyone who is out of the country wanting to send you a "cashiers check"
Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM

No, not when the scammer hits "your" Buy It Now option. Ebay has a very serious problem with scammers now. If the scammers start hitting the "Buy It Now Option" this will really cause a lot of trouble for Ebay and sellers who will be charged the sale fee for the Buy It Now option when its just a scam. About the only thing that "may" get their attention to seriously attack this issue is when daily traffic on the site drops, customers really start to complain about bogus Buy It Now charges and the company stock price starts to tank.

My last 2 auctions had second chance scams sent to bidders even when the auction was successful. I guess the "private auction" will become more popular to combat the scammers and leaches who contact bidders during the auction with similiar items the leach has for sale. Of course when you see a private auction the first thing that comes to mind is a "shill" bidder is probably in the mix.

I think Ebay is still a wonderful place to "advertise" your item. That is certainly the case with a automtobile you may have for sale. Many buyer's and resellers are watching the site and will call you on your car if you will include a phone number. "End Auction Early" is an option that appears to get a lot more use on Ebay Motors now days as customers are making deals on the side and stopping the auction.

Even with all this scam crap going on, I think Ebay will still continue to be a great place to "advertise" your item. After all, the customer has to see the item and know it's for sale before you can sell it to them!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"

Last edited by vintageracer; 10-26-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 PM

My theory for something like that on ebays is I don't ship anything until I have the full amount sitting in my bank account free and clear.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping to sell it quickly, I could have listed it locally just takes longer to sell in my opinion. It's not that it is and expensive vehicle, its a 1989 Suburban that I would like to get $1000 to $1500 for. There is a Military truck that I found that I would like to buy but need to sell this suburban and a truck before purchasing. I have too many projects to deal with at the moment, I will be selling my 69 firebird also but not in a rush so much with that one. When crap like this happens it just pushes the sale off longer, just aggravating. If I wasn't in a hurry it would be no biggy. Hopefuly Ebay will refund the costs involved with this.

Thanks again