Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Rum Runner (1973 Barracuda)

Here's my pile, a 1973 Barracuda. It's got a 318, 904 slap stick auto, 8 3/4 rear end, disc front, drum rear. The car came with shaved side lamps, smoothed dutchman panel (?), and smoothed rear lower valence. Also has HID head lights and flowmaster exhaust. Custom "Cuda" hockey stick. The engine sounds like it has a little cam, but not sure what exactly. Car was originally Rallye Red, then Plum Crazy and now In-Violet...I think (those purple paint names confuse me). Never thought I'd own a purple car, but after looking around for a year this was the only car that wasn't in too bad of shape or a show car.

I've done some work on it myself. I installed an XV level 1 suspension kit (Afco shocks, stiff torsion bars and leaf springs, adjustable strut rods). I have yet to install the sway bars from XV. I also rebuilt the whole front suspension, new poly bushings and ball joints, steering links and joints, machined rotors, machined the pads, rebuilt one of the calipers, installed new wheel bearings and gusseted the lower control arms. I also reinforced some of the frame in the front (rust damage).

My to do list and ideas:

-fix redneck modifications and rust
-subframe connectors
-tie the front frame together by a boxed radiator support
-larger diam x wide wheels (17x9 front and back?)
-275 wide rubber front and back
-stiffer steering box and gusset steering box mount
-manual trans (5 speed OD?)
-new rear end gears, add sure grip diff
-upgrade brakes
-engine mods (turbo? ...I want something unusual since I'm already a mopar black sheep)
-interior (nothing fancy, just functional)
-black out the chrome trim
-black & yellow license plate(?)
-flush mount windows(?)
-front bumper color match to car
-pre 1973 bumperettes (still can't believe they are called that)

This will be a slow project. I'm doing as much of the work as I can myself in my drive way. The car will get driven and will not be a show winner. Might take it to the track for an open track day a couple times a year but it will mostly be a cruiser. We call it the Purple People Eater or just The Purple Car. The guy that aligned it called it a rum runner. I'm not big on project names but liked how that sounds (hope there isn't another RR project).

I'm 25, live in Santa Barbara, CA and work for an off-road racing transaxle company. Oh and this is my first project car. Hope that didn't bore you.

-Dave
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 PM

I like the name too. That looks like a great start to a really cool project. I like the future plans for it and that you're doing it yourself too.
Be sure and post a lot of pictures and details about everything you do to it.

1970 Camaro.....on the road someday!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Looks to be a good start and great plan. looking forward to following the progress.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Nice car. I'm digging the Mopars!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks! The car looks alright from the outside but pretty much everything needs work. I'm planning on stopping by El Toro Saturday morning for a couple hours. If anyone else sees me there I'd love to meet some Lat-g folks. I'm not gonna recognize anyone but hopefully I'll recognize some of your cars. I'll wear an Oakland A's hat so you can find me! haha

Shiny side up!
Dave

Was I supposed to post this in member/project/vehicle introduction? oops
Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 PM

I'm heading to Santa Paula this afternoon for what I hear is an amazing get together. Then next weekend (5/16) my car will be in the Wheels & Waves show in Santa Barbara. I know there are a few people on this web site in the area.

Nothing new on my car, I've just been driving it every chance I get. After Wheels and Waves I'm going to rebuild my axle and upgrade, it freakin howls! I might make some subframe connectors and fix the floor while the car is off the road.

-Dave
Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBDave View Post
I'm heading to Santa Paula this afternoon for what I hear is an amazing get together. Then next weekend (5/16) my car will be in the Wheels & Waves show in Santa Barbara. I know there are a few people on this web site in the area.

Nothing new on my car, I've just been driving it every chance I get. After Wheels and Waves I'm going to rebuild my axle and upgrade, it freakin howls! I might make some subframe connectors and fix the floor while the car is off the road.

-Dave
Dave,

I work by the SB Airport right off Hollister Ave. I'd like to hook up sometime and check out your car!

--Eric
Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Hi Eric! haha, I work on Hollister down across from Costco/Baja Fresh. Some buddies and I bring our old cars out to El Pollo Rico in Old Town Goleta on Thursdays for lunch at noon. If you don't make it to Wheels and Waves you can usually catch me there....but I'm planning on taking the car off the road for a little while right after W&W for some upgrades.

-Dave
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBDave View Post
Hi Eric! haha, I work on Hollister down across from Costco/Baja Fresh. Some buddies and I bring our old cars out to El Pollo Rico in Old Town Goleta on Thursdays for lunch at noon. If you don't make it to Wheels and Waves you can usually catch me there....but I'm planning on taking the car off the road for a little while right after W&W for some upgrades.

-Dave
You must be in the old ABLE ENGINEERING building. I know where that is.

I can't come this Thursday, but maybe I'll meet up with you at W&W. Are you aware of CRUSIN' IN THE GROVE on June 5th?

--Eric
Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Supporting Member

cool cuda,everytime I see someone's cuda I want to start on my 71,but still have too many projects on top of it all I picked up a 69 firebird. post pics of the work

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup