Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Default Eastwood Welders

Are the Eastwood welders shown in all the car mags any good, or just of the "Harbor Freight" quality? Thanks! Our shop needs a welder just to do simple exhaust work, Cat. Cons, etc. and they're too cheap to buy a Miller or Lincoln.

Ric

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM

They are actually better than the Lincolns sold at Lowes. They use metal feed blocks/rollers. Have infinate variable heat and speed (depending on model), have one model that is 220/110 convertable. And use common replacement parts. You can also get a spool gun for aluminum. They will run gas too. Pretty good value for a home shop.
But they are not built to the same level a Miller or Lincoln commercial grade welder is. I guess if you take care of it and use it as it was designed it should last a long time.

But for 250/300 more they can get a Miller that will blow it away......

Sorry, I never directly answered your question. Yes they are good at what they are designed for(home shop/hobbiest). No they are not like the Harbor Frieght units. Much, much better. I have had 2 of the HF welders. Both 115v & 220v. Both will weld. But both left a lot to be desired.

1970 Camaro.....on the road someday!

Last edited by 70rs; 09-09-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Thanks, Eric, that's what I wanted to know. I had my Lincoln SP-175 from home there and every time I had a day off someone would use it and break something or screw up the adjustments. Eastwood has a 110v unit for $299 and a 220v combo for $599 this month with free freight( and no tax!). Local welding shop wanted $688 for a Miller 140( 110v) unit, which I think is too high, but then again, I'm not paying for it. Since I do 99% of the welding at work, it would be nice to have a somewhat decent unit to use. The 3 year guarantee sounds appealing, too.

Ric

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
Thanks, Eric, that's what I wanted to know. I had my Lincoln SP-175 from home there and every time I had a day off someone would use it and break something or screw up the adjustments. Eastwood has a 110v unit for $299 and a 220v combo for $599 this month with free freight( and no tax!). Local welding shop wanted $688 for a Miller 140( 110v) unit, which I think is too high, but then again, I'm not paying for it. Since I do 99% of the welding at work, it would be nice to have a somewhat decent unit to use. The 3 year guarantee sounds appealing, too.

Ric
I know two people who have the Eastwood units and both are very happy with them.
For that guarantee....it may not apply to commercial use. Check the fine print.

I HATE it when other people screw up my tools!!!!! All my life in cabinet shops and running installs, had crews lose, steal, break, abuse and just plain disrespect the fact that those tools were bought and paid for with someone elses hard work. One of my all time worst pet peves. Tied right up there with crappy drivers in rush hour traffic. LOL!!

1970 Camaro.....on the road someday!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 AM

I'm looking to pick up a TIG in a couple months and am curious if anybody has experience with the Eastwood TIG machine. I know V8TV did a review about it which was positive, but I'm curious if anybody else has some time under the hood with the EW TIG?