Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Whats the difference between a 4 door Jeep Wrangler and a Rubicon?

What are the basic differences? thanx
Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
What are the basic differences? thanx

A Rubicon is the most bad ass version because that's the one I own....

Joking of course - but it is actually.

Rubicon has all the creature comforts and all the off road upgrades - like push button lockers front and rear - and push button sway bar disconnect - and heated seats etc - and if you want the really bad ass version you order the Rubicon AEV versions -- which are lifted and fitted with appropriate suspension upgrades and other essential (that's what I told Gwen anyway) off road crap.

This is the AEV website.... they are to Jeeps what AMG is to Mercedes Benz - or Dinan is to BMW....

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk-wrangler

Last edited by GregWeld; 12-29-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:17 PM

Don't get one and just drive it to the friggin' Mall either !!! That's for your Porsche....

Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM

Rubicon's also have the D44 axles front and rear. On other models, the Sahara and X, the rear is still D44 but the front is a D30. The D30 is fine for the street and stock tires but once pushed off-road they'll show you why it's important to always carry good hiking boots.

If you've got the money call up AEV and get er built, best of the best! If you're not into the off-road thing and just hitting the mid life deal...grab a Rubicon with a small lift and some 35's.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 PM

JEEP country.... this is a tough trip up to Boulder City... we had one "Jeep wife" crying...

A couple of the Jeeps were "street" versions... and they made the climb. I was certain we'd be winching them or they'd break. The rocks here will destroy your suspension and tires... and pound your driveline.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
A Rubicon is the most bad ass version because that's the one I own....

Joking of course - but it is actually.

Rubicon has all the creature comforts and all the off road upgrades - like push button lockers front and rear - and push button sway bar disconnect - and heated seats etc - and if you want the really bad ass version you order the Rubicon AEV versions -- which are lifted and fitted with appropriate suspension upgrades and other essential (that's what I told Gwen anyway) off road crap.

This is the AEV website.... they are to Jeeps what AMG is to Mercedes Benz - or Dinan is to BMW....

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk-wrangler
Thanx Greg, you never seize to make me laugh....the mall?!?! Wat do i look like? Pammy? hahaha. Seriously though, yes off road (Tahoe junkie) mostly for work. I'm gettin rid of my extra cab GMC (the one that replaced my stolen Trailblazer SS), like the shorter wheelbase and i have to go off road about once a week for work (yes, theres glass in those dar hills). And i've got the hankerin for some trail abuse since i've sold my KTM's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Rubicon's also have the D44 axles front and rear. On other models, the Sahara and X, the rear is still D44 but the front is a D30. The D30 is fine for the street and stock tires but once pushed off-road they'll show you why it's important to always carry good hiking boots.

If you've got the money call up AEV and get er built, best of the best! If you're not into the off-road thing and just hitting the mid life deal...grab a Rubicon with a small lift and some 35's.
Ha, no midlife deal here lol, i'm lookin for a TBSS replacement (see my response to dr weld) and need a shorter wheelbase than my extra cab GMC and need something a little more off roady, but not as short as a conventional Jeep......Saw one last year and this year at SEMA that caught my eye....4 inch (iirc) lift and some 35's, just like you said...It'll be mostly a work truck...
Old 12-29-2015, 10:50 PM

I'm a Cherokee whore...this is my 4th and newest. Small lift, lil armor, V8, heated seats....it's comfy! Wife drives it daily but I still manage to get out and get lost. Wranglers and Cherokees are just fun! Point and shoot kinda rigs with little hassle as long as you don't go crazy....
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Thanx Greg, you never seize to make me laugh....the mall?!?! Wat do i look like? Pammy? hahaha. Seriously though, yes off road (Tahoe junkie) mostly for work. I'm gettin rid of my extra cab GMC (the one that replaced my stolen Trailblazer SS), like the shorter wheelbase and i have to go off road about once a week for work (yes, theres glass in those dar hills). And i've got the hankerin for some trail abuse since i've sold my KTM's....

Ha, no midlife deal here lol, i'm lookin for a TBSS replacement (see my response to dr weld) and need a shorter wheelbase than my extra cab GMC and need something a little more off roady, but not as short as a conventional Jeep......Saw one last year and this year at SEMA that caught my eye....4 inch (iirc) lift and some 35's, just like you said...It'll be mostly a work truck...
Mike,
I know this will have very little chance of helping, but stranger things have happened....
Skoal recently had a giveaway of a new Jeep built by Starwood Motors. Completely customized with all the goodies (Kevlar paint?). "Retail value" of over $100k. Also included are kayaks, tents, & other camping stuff. Total retail was over $125k.
A friend of mine's son won the thing. Problem is, he is in his early 20's, has had some driving issues, and currently has a restricted license. The insurance is out of sight. AND, although they gave him $37k for taxes, it isn't enough. SO, it has to go. It was delivered to him a couple weeks ago & is now sitting in his garage. 0 miles. He is going to work with Starwood Motors to sell it, but that costs money, & if it interests you, there is money to be saved.
Here is a link to one of their "project builds".
http://www.starwoodmotors.com/projectjeeps/nomad.php

It may actually be this vehicle, or one very similar. I'm not sure as I haven't seen it in person.
Anyway, if this is inline of what you are looking for, PM me. I will connect you. He is getting ready to ship it back to Texas for selling it, but it is in Minnesota right now.

Bill

'69 Camaro / 534 BBC / DSE Built
'67 C10 / LS-3 w/Magnuson / Roadster Shop Chassis (SOLD)
'71 Blazer / LT4 / 8L90 / Roadster Shop Chassis / Ride Tech Air Susp.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:47 AM

The Starwood built Jeeps are just amazing.... Most are super custom! Many are way more hardcore than the AEV built offerings. My son wanted me to order one of theirs before I bought the AEV that was here on a dealers lot. Mike would be the coolest glass guy in the universe...
Old 12-30-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The Starwood built Jeeps are just amazing.... Most are super custom! Many are way more hardcore than the AEV built offerings.
How dare you! That's like saying Gas Monkey builds a better Camaro than Steilow....SMH.

Good day sir!