Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Default GM Power Steering Help!

Hey guys,
Heres my situation. I purchased a 12.7:1 GM "600" steering gearbox, new Saginaw PS pump, new lines, and rag-joint. I installed everything filled the system with fluid and attemted to purge the system multiple times. (I raised the front end off the ground and with the car running turned the wheel slowly from side to side 15 times) It still seems as if the power assist isnt working 100%. I get some assist, but not what it should be. Am I doing something wrong, is this the correct procedure for "pruging" the system? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Guys
Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

It sounds like you have a small amount of air in the lines. The best thing to do unfortuantely, is to just let the car sit for a day or maybe two.

The air(foam) should work itself out in that period of time. With foam present unfortunately there won't be a easy, quick way to get the air out.... you could try removing the pressure line to maybe help the gravity bleed aspect a bit.

We have had guys call us that couldn't let the car sit and decided to just drive the car until the air worked itself out. Most reservoir caps have a built in breather which will allow for the added air.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 AM

Always wondered if you could attach a mini-evac deal to purge a PS system ? I smoked a new pump on my wife's Passat trying to purge that stupid thing....