Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 AM

Default 1966 Mustang restomod/auto x build

Ive been restoring my mustang for the past 3 years now and am somewhat new to the forum world but a buddy of mine started a thread for his build so i felt like doing one on my car.

I bought the car when i was 16 and have been fixing it up since then. I wanted to be able to drive the car as I restore it which is why it is not going to be like the typical build that is completely stripped. I have done quite a lot to the car so far and will be posting pictures of everything Ive done from coil-overs in the front to a glove box radio mount.

I wanted to do the body work last so I could have a fundamentally stable ride then finish with the paint etc.

I have a lot planned for the car like a tubular upper control arms. Hope you guys enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Welcome to Looking forward to seeing the updates.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome Keeping it on the road is a good plan. Once you tear it down to a non driver you'd be surprised how long it takes to get it back on the road. Some never make it back.

That's a sweet starting point. Some people overlook the coupes but they bitchen little cars. Back in high school my friends dad had an immaculate k code black GT 4 speed. If I ever had an all original car that would be it.

How about some more details? What are your future plans?

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
Welcome to Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Thankyou!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
Welcome Keeping it on the road is a good plan. Once you tear it down to a non driver you'd be surprised how long it takes to get it back on the road. Some never make it back.

That's a sweet starting point. Some people overlook the coupes but they bitchen little cars. Back in high school my friends dad had an immaculate k code black GT 4 speed. If I ever had an all original car that would be it.

How about some more details? What are your future plans?
Ya I've been told that so I am trying to keep it on the road as long as possible. Thankyou, ya I have found out they get overlooked quite often.

I will post some more pictures of what I have been doing tonight or this weekend with details, I have quite a few pics in my library.

As far as future details I have a ford 9" housing from speedway Im going to put in with a true track. Im also doin some stuff like a Prod in the back and a custom boxed lower control arms and tubular upper control arms...I have a few things in mind.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:27 PM

This was the interior when i got the car.

Pulled up all the carpet and replaced some rusted floor panels.

The new interior, replaced seat foam, new seat covers, new carpet, steering wheel, sanded down the dash like some old shelbys had and painted the dash flat black, new door panels w/ new handles etc. and painted the area around the door panel. The guy who had it before me hacked up the old radio so i cut it out and made a radio delete. The guy who had it before me decided to put a new style emergency brake in as well.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM

One of the next things I did was sand down the undercar and put Maier Racing subframe connectors on that drastically stiffened up the car. After I had the floor all sanded down i pulled the tranny and put a rebuilt top-loader 4speed in with a hurst super shifter. I also painted the drive shaft then painted the under car.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Inside the front fenders i welded in a piece of metal to strengthen up the front of the car. I jacked the car up and would notice the front of the car flexing a lot. The second picture is by the cowl and the firewall. Just another way to stiffin up the car. They were both really easy to do, free besides the metal and worked out well.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Awhile ago i put new rear suspension in. I put new leaf springs from Maier Racing and Bilstein shocks in as well as new spring plates and the car handled drastically better then it had before. Once I had the springs and shocks all dialed in a buddy of mine helped me put in a Panhard rod kit from Maiers as well. I didnt want to dump the exhaust because I have been told that it can be apian with the exhaust coming back into the car so we rerouted the exhaust around the Prod. The drivers side was not difficult to do but the passenger side took some time but once it was all in it looked and worked out really well. Tok us about 6 hours to do including all the exhaust work.

Drivers side

Passangers Side

Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM