Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Default Northstar?

I have had the fantasy of adapting a newer north south Cadillac northstar into my 67 Camaro. I am aware of quite a few streetrods with a northstar combo, but have never seen such a thing applied to vintage muscle. Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators do amazing things with this powerplant, and I was curious if anyone has already given this swap a try. It seems technically feasible, but it seems curious that this mill is ignored by muscle car guys. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro666 View Post
I have had the fantasy of adapting a newer north south Cadillac northstar into my 67 Camaro. I am aware of quite a few streetrods with a northstar combo, but have never seen such a thing applied to vintage muscle. Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators do amazing things with this powerplant, and I was curious if anyone has already given this swap a try. It seems technically feasible, but it seems curious that this mill is ignored by muscle car guys. Any thoughts?
Novastar '67 Nova built by Maurie & Lynne Hoover

http://www.arcaudio.com/album/Featur...tar/index.html

Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 PM

i think it was ignored just bacause there really arent that many built.. and it came out when efi was still for the few and wise... and as a result there arent that many aftermarked goodies made for them...

its an awesome engine, it will cost more than an ls engine at same HP level.. but it sure is a cool engine choice...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM

i did this swap in 1999 in a 55 nomad , guttless , no power , would not spin the tires if it had to . looked real cool .
Old 05-15-2008, 01:01 PM

They are a fine looking engine, but it makes sense that they don't have the snot to move a relatively heavy muscle car around. I am sure that this could be remedied with the 6-71 blower kit CHRF makes for it, but the goal with that swap would be uniqueness as opposed to horsepower per dollar. Sure would be neat to see a lightened Monza or Vega with a boss northstar, though. I also can't get the idea of a 600hp turbo ecotec in my Camaro out of my head either. That would really burn people at car shows. I just have to be difficult.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:04 PM

I did the conversion in 1999 as well in a Hurst/Olds. It was in Hot Rod magazine. It was a very nice running package. I still have the motor, 700r tranny, motor mounts, and headers. The headers are actually on ebay right now. I took the engine out because it started making a noise in it. It was not a big noise but did not sound right. So my engine would need to be opened up and checked. I sold the computer and harness but Howell Engine Development could make you another one. Check out my ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/32-va...QQcmdZViewItem

I would be happy to sell you any part of the deal I have left. I am not using it & want to sell them.

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

The sand buggy guys have done plenty to Northstars. VERY high hp setups but they don't push any weight at all... still, they are very hard on a product. If they could make it live in the desert, you should be able to use it on the street.

Jeff-
Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Default 67 nova star

That's my buddies Novastar. It looks even beter in person. I finally got to see it when he came through Sac. He has helped guide me with my build of my 69 bird. Can't say enough good things about that car it's done right!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 PM

Yeah there ok engines after market does lack some i seen a trike with one and my friend put one in the back of his fiero its not too bad.