Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 PM

Thanks. I'm quickly approaching a stand still with this thing until I can get some wheel sleeves machined. I came across some old messages on a car modeling forum I frequent. Hopefully the guy is still willing to have a look at my parts and see what he can do.

Artwork Page
Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 PM

How about some new pictures and an update. I've made some headway one the Turbo, it also looks like I may have created a centrifugal supercharger as well in 1/12th scale, the compressor housing could be used as just that with some slight modification. There will be 3 primary parts, the compressor housing, the turbine housing, and the center section. The center section will have the oil feed and return connections, as well as have the turbine wheel on both ends so that they are visible. I've been hunting down as many reference shots as I can on the net, if anyone sees any errors or details I need to add, please chime in. I've not seen a turbo close up with intention of making a scale replica...

Current assembly from the side

Current assembly from the front

Close up of the rear of the compressor housing

Current state of the 3 pieces

Artwork Page
Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 PM

How about a statistical update as well, this build is posted on 3 different forums. A car modeling forum and 2 car enthusiast forums:

The build started in November of 2005 with hopes of completing it within 12 months.

It has been viewed 51622 times and spans 33 pages between the 3 forums.

Artwork Page
Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Wow. I don't know what's crazier, the details on this thing (made possible by your skills) or the data you just posted. Either way, I'm glad folks continue to peek in and you continue to post up progress.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,729 Times in 938 Posts

looks really awesome.

I can't wait to see it on a motor.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Thanks guys. Still a long ways to go. Especially since I'm still having some trouble finding someone to machine the wheels. I wonder if forgeline will sponsor the project and make me some 1:12th scale replica's?!? lol

Marty, let me know when you want a replica of the syborg!

Artwork Page
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2002ls View Post
Marty, let me know when you want a replica of the syborg!
Just say when and I'll send you the pictures and a 1/20 Die Cast of the truck

[email protected]

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 PM

Well I think its about time for an update on this thing. I've taken some time off to try and re-arrange/begin re-modeling my house. As well as working on some smaller 1/24th scale masters to cast and sell. I've also found someone who is going to machine the wheel sleeves for me. As soon as I get those back, I will get started on the third set of wheel centers. I also need to work out a template for the bolt pattern so that when I go to drill all of that stuff it is correct this time around.

I dug out the old brake molds and cast some of those parts. I want this car to be as realistic as possible, incorporate cutting edge technology and not break the bank. Well I thought the perfect place to cut back on cost would be the brake rotors. Instead of having 4 rotors machined out of aluminum, I decided to re-use the resin casts I had for the front rotors. I found a picture of a ZR-1 Corvette's front carbon ceramic rotors:

To be honest, looking at this thing a second time, I may do my best to duplicate those rotors as well. I think that anodized blue look will fit right in behind the wheels. Anyway, after getting some help on how other people are achieving this look, in scale, I devised this method:

I started with a base of flat black. Then I dug out some Duplicolor Gunmetal. I held the can away from the part so as to only get some spatter of color, repeated until I had the desired effect.

And now the finished part:

Now that I see them side by side, they need a little bit of work, more of a metallic look than a black look...

Artwork Page
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM

Looks awesome

Quote:
Well I think its about time for an update on this thing. I've taken some time off to try and re-arrange/begin re-modeling my house. As well as working on some smaller 1/24th scale masters to cast and sell. I've also found someone who is going to machine the wheel sleeves for me. As soon as I get those back, I will get started on the third set of wheel centers. I also need to work out a template for the bolt pattern so that when I go to drill all of that stuff it is correct this time around.

I dug out the old brake molds and cast some of those parts. I want this car to be as realistic as possible, incorporate cutting edge technology and not break the bank. Well I thought the perfect place to cut back on cost would be the brake rotors. Instead of having 4 rotors machined out of aluminum, I decided to re-use the resin casts I had for the front rotors. I found a picture of a ZR-1 Corvette's front carbon ceramic rotors:

To be honest, looking at this thing a second time, I may do my best to duplicate those rotors as well. I think that anodized blue look will fit right in behind the wheels. Anyway, after getting some help on how other people are achieving this look, in scale, I devised this method:

I started with a base of flat black. Then I dug out some Duplicolor Gunmetal. I held the can away from the part so as to only get some spatter of color, repeated until I had the desired effect.

And now the finished part:

Now that I see them side by side, they need a little bit of work, more of a metallic look than a black look...

Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I'm quickly approaching a stand still with this thing until I can get some wheel sleeves machined..
Have you considered/tried copper tubing from Home stores? They come in many different sizes and take plating very well!
Here is one of my old builds, a replica of Charlie Lillard's #3 ZL1 Camaro

I'm actually working on a 1/12 Camaro now, much like yours but not quite so awesome! I don't have pics yet, I'm planning to debut it at the Salt Lake GSL.