...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 AM
kwhizz's Avatar
kwhizz kwhizz is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kenosha , wi
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 484
Thanked 293 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Another update... We were planning on taking the Nomad on the Good-Guys Road Tour next week.... I had a intermittent problem that kept cropping up... I would get in the car and turn the key and click, click, click... Battery was fully charged..... Humm !!!. Went thru the Battery cables, cleaned tightened and thought the problem was solved.... Till it did it again..... replaced the starter.....problem solved.... Not !!!... Replaced battery cables..... Same thing... The only thing left that makes any sense is the Ignition switch.... No time to get a "Real" GM switch and replace it......So... The Nomad is staying home and the Chevelle is going instead.... Darn.... This car stuff is hard !!!!!

Ken
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 AM
NAPA 68 NAPA 68 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Presque Isle, WI
Posts: 286
Thanks: 61
Thanked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhizz View Post
Another update... We were planning on taking the Nomad on the Good-Guys Road Tour next week.... I had a intermittent problem that kept cropping up... I would get in the car and turn the key and click, click, click... Battery was fully charged..... Humm !!!. Went thru the Battery cables, cleaned tightened and thought the problem was solved.... Till it did it again..... replaced the starter.....problem solved.... Not !!!... Replaced battery cables..... Same thing... The only thing left that makes any sense is the Ignition switch.... No time to get a "Real" GM switch and replace it......So... The Nomad is staying home and the Chevelle is going instead.... Darn.... This car stuff is hard !!!!!

Ken
Did you put a new harness in the car? I had a problem some time ago with the original harness bulkhead with corrosion. It provided a periodic voltage drop in the trigger wire for the solenoid.................click click!

It would absolutely suck if you could not take the Nomad. You certainly have paid you dues with that build!
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 09-13-2018, 08:31 AM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,650
Thanks: 504
Thanked 1,075 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Wait Ken --- Remember when I drove (rode in - Rudy drove the entire trip) - the Chevelle and it was doing that --- and it was like the neutral safety switch connection or something.....


Come on buddy - don't give up on her!
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 AM
kwhizz's Avatar
kwhizz kwhizz is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kenosha , wi
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 484
Thanked 293 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPA 68 View Post
Did you put a new harness in the car? I had a problem some time ago with the original harness bulkhead with corrosion. It provided a periodic voltage drop in the trigger wire for the solenoid.................click click!

It would absolutely suck if you could not take the Nomad. You certainly have paid you dues with that build!

Yes.........All new wiring in the car.....American Autowire kit.......
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 AM
kwhizz's Avatar
kwhizz kwhizz is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kenosha , wi
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 484
Thanked 293 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Wait Ken --- Remember when I drove (rode in - Rudy drove the entire trip) - the Chevelle and it was doing that --- and it was like the neutral safety switch connection or something.....


Come on buddy - don't give up on her!

Greg...... Different situation...... Ended up being a loose alternator connection to the Battery.......Voltmeter showed voltage but the amperage wasn't getting thru to the Battery......and the Battery was getting minimal charging..... Found the problem after we got the car home last year..... The 10 ga wire I had going to the battery (way too small I have since learned) covered in the plastic casing....... Couldn't see the wire because it was inside the casing, but I smelled a weird smell in the engine compartment and was looking around and I noticed the casing was melting at the alternator....From the loose connection resistance heated the wire and pretty much melted the insulation...... It also took out the alternator.....I did some research and found out that with the Electric fans at least a 6 GA wire was required.... New alternator and 6 GA wire and now I can have everything running and the Voltmeter stays at 14 Volts...... Another education to the guy who thinks he knows everything.....LOL......

I are Smart !!

LOL

Ken
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:50 PM
kwhizz's Avatar
kwhizz kwhizz is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kenosha , wi
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 484
Thanked 293 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Here was the problem in the Chevelle !!….

Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 09-13-2018, 10:36 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,650
Thanks: 504
Thanked 1,075 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Just so you know -- we could all be touring in brand new 488's or Bentleys for what we have in all this crap.... God only knows why we do this. But damn I love it anyway! LOL


Just thinking about the clicking ----

Check grounds from motor to chassis etc

Check voltage at starter motor for voltage drop

Check voltage at ignition vs battery

Bypass ignition and hot wire -- to see if she starts

Neutral safety switch contact (assuming there is still one in the car)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
glassman (09-14-2018)
  #208  
Old 09-14-2018, 06:42 AM
kwhizz's Avatar
kwhizz kwhizz is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kenosha , wi
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 484
Thanked 293 Times in 123 Posts
Default

In reference to the Chevelle...…….There was a loose terminal on the Neutral safety switch...…… since corrections the car is back to it's old reliable self...… (probably shouldn't have said that) LOL...….

Ken

Last edited by kwhizz; 09-14-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 AM
kwhizz's Avatar
kwhizz kwhizz is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kenosha , wi
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 484
Thanked 293 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Just so you know -- we could all be touring in brand new 488's or Bentleys for what we have in all this crap.... God only knows why we do this. But damn I love it anyway! LOL


Just thinking about the clicking ----

Check grounds from motor to chassis etc

Check voltage at starter motor for voltage drop

Check voltage at ignition vs battery

Bypass ignition and hot wire -- to see if she starts

Neutral safety switch contact (assuming there is still one in the car)


Yep !!!.... Donnie at Frame-up checked everything as above and we thought everything was O.K... Till it happened again..... That's why we suspect the Ignition switch....


Ordered a GM switch and it will be replaced when we get back from the tour.... Hopefully it will make it on next years tour
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM
dontlifttoshift's Avatar
dontlifttoshift dontlifttoshift is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Beach Park. IL
Posts: 894
Thanks: 8
Thanked 121 Times in 74 Posts
Default

We checked all the basics, found a questionable connection at the negative on the battery and the car started 50 times after that over the course of two days without hesitation...........Ken called two days later and said it clicked again.
__________________
Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net