Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM

Default 68 Firebird Suspension Options?

Hi, currently restoring a 68 Firebird and still in the body repair stage. I am now contemplating on the suspension I want, so I can prepare for it in terms of cost. I don't intend to race, probably just a couple of track days (nothing competitive) a year. The bird will mostly be for street use, city driving more often than not. I will be putting in a V8 to replace the current OHC6, by the way.

The only upgrade I had in mind was putting in front disc brakes, and I planned to retain all other original parts (except those that need replacing).

However, I'm thinking since I wanna do this right the first time, I just might upgrade.

What do you guys suggest for a daily driver? Nothing fancy or expensive (unless absolutely necessary), just the essentials. By the way, I plan on putting in 15" TT 1 D Series rims and lowering the stance.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM

If you are planning to keep it relatively stock I would look at a Hotchkis suspension kit.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Thanks Chicken. Been looking at their website but I don't understand how to piece them all together as I don't DIY... I haven't seen suspension kits as well whilst browsing, only isolated parts.

How do I go about it then? The only modification I have in mind so far is converting the front drums to disc brakes, dunno much about anything else...

Help please!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM

The TVS are great #80014 or #80015 depending whether you are running a small block or big block. Match them up with their shocks and you are good to go. Other good idea would be to upgrade the steering with a DSE 600 detroit speed engineering steering box and Hotchkis' Chestr008 steering rebuild kit and add Speedtech upper and lower control arms and you would have a tricked out stock subframe. For brake conversions talk to Tobin at Kore3, his website has a ton of information and he knows his brakes.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 AM

Thanks buddy! Would still appreciate feedback from others though, just to give me something to think about (no offense)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover View Post
Hi, currently restoring a 68 Firebird and still in the body repair stage. I am now contemplating on the suspension I want, so I can prepare for it in terms of cost. I don't intend to race, probably just a couple of track days (nothing competitive) a year. The bird will mostly be for street use, city driving more often than not. I will be putting in a V8 to replace the current OHC6, by the way.

The only upgrade I had in mind was putting in front disc brakes, and I planned to retain all other original parts (except those that need replacing).

However, I'm thinking since I wanna do this right the first time, I just might upgrade.

What do you guys suggest for a daily driver? Nothing fancy or expensive (unless absolutely necessary), just the essentials. By the way, I plan on putting in 15" TT 1 D Series rims and lowering the stance.

Thanks!
Hey ChickenLouie,
Thanks for throwing our hat in the ring!

We're not just for daily drivers though. Have you seen Carl Casanova's TVS-equipped '68 Camaro has really been a shining star and beat some big competition out on the autocross at the latest Super Chevy Magazine competition. His car is a very worthy street car that he takes to the track periodically.

(Link to article)
http://www.superchevy.com/events/suc...nge/index.html

You can purchase the parts in the TVS package, or you can buy the pieces separately.

TVS

Most enthusiasts find out the hard way that doing things twice gets really expensive and it sounds as though you realize that already. That's a good place to be.

To start, get some good shocks, springs (front and rear) and a front sway bar. If you want to handle even better you should look at some upper control arms and consider performing the Guldstrand Mod. The Guldstrand Mod works best with tubular upper arms, so you don't have to unnecessarily hack the frame to clear stock control arms. Subframe connectors are something that should not be overlooked. For handling, ours are the most effective while being the least invasive connectors on the market, while still allowing you to remove the rear leaf springs in the future.

If you have questions or need help during your planning process, feel free to give our tech department a call. 877-735-6425

It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but if you give us a call we'll talk you through everything you need, and the install is easy, so if you don't DIY, your shop won't be complaining about ill-fitting aftermarket parts. It's all bolt-on.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM

hey hotchkis (sorry i don't know your first name )

thanks for your reply, apparently my reply was not sent.

i reside in the Philippines, and shipping is a pain (just had to say it, custom duties are off the charts). i'm quite interested with the TVS package, can any competent shop easily install them? also interested with your steering kits, just have to figure out a way of bringing them in without much fanfare.

body and paint are finished so now i'm delving into the mechanicals. you hit the nail right on the head, i wanna do it right the first time. i don't necessarily have to be the best in the block though, i just want my firebird to handle and ride well enough for me to be able to trust it with my family.

of course, budget is a big issue also. apart from the TVS kit, what do you suggest? i'll be running a small block, everything is else is bone stock... (AND OLD, RUSTY... you get the picture). thanks buddy!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover View Post
hey hotchkis (sorry i don't know your first name )

thanks for your reply, apparently my reply was not sent.

i reside in the Philippines, and shipping is a pain (just had to say it, custom duties are off the charts). i'm quite interested with the TVS package, can any competent shop easily install them? also interested with your steering kits, just have to figure out a way of bringing them in without much fanfare.

body and paint are finished so now i'm delving into the mechanicals. you hit the nail right on the head, i wanna do it right the first time. i don't necessarily have to be the best in the block though, i just want my firebird to handle and ride well enough for me to be able to trust it with my family.

of course, budget is a big issue also. apart from the TVS kit, what do you suggest? i'll be running a small block, everything is else is bone stock... (AND OLD, RUSTY... you get the picture). thanks buddy!

Hoover – It sounds like you have quite a project going in the Philippines. How did you get a Firebird over there, did you import it? We’ve heard of the Camaros being built in the Yutivo factory over there. Anyway, it sound like a big project to build an Ameican Muscle car in the Philippines.

What parts do you have right now? Which ones are worn and which ones are in good shape? You’re running a small block Chevy V8 engine? Do you have pictures of your Firebird posted online?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yup, there were Yutivo-assembled Camaros and imported Camaros. We have quite a lot of different muscle cars, but a significant number are left rotting because of their state and the lack of an American muscle car shop here (for parts and accessories). It's actually the shipping cost of parts that remain a big hindrance, as it practically puts the vehicles over and above market value. That's why when you embark on a rustbucket project here, it will be mostly because you love the car and it's gonna be for keeps.

Right now I've completed bodywork and paint (except the clear coat, as we're waiting for my mechanic to finish my engine). I will be running a small block chevy 350 (sorry guys, i really wanted a poncho in there but most of the parts that come in are for chevys and it's definitely more practical for me to go that route). I also wanted to get an LS1 like most of you do but we don't have it here and the whole shipping experience sucks.

The suspension is pretty stock (and old), but i hope to change everything to ensure my family's and my personal safety. That's why I'm very interested in the TVS package (and disc brakes, rebuild kits for steering, etc.). Actually it's better if I can get everything I can from you so I don't go into the hassle of talking to multiple suppliers there.

Send me your email and I'll send you pics if you want, just can't compete with the guys here because of parts availability in my country
Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 PM

Couldn't wait, created a thread in Project Updates. Lemme know what you guys think so far