Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM

Default dse subframe coil over

just ordered my dse sub and Im contenplating on changing the front coil over sprigs from 450lbs (recoomended by dse for LS motor ) I will be running ls6 with magna charger. I remember reading some where on site that the 550lbs will perform better
Im planning on using this car mostly on street but will definetly get it out to the autocross race it as much as possible
if any body has some experience with this would appreciate your imput
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankv11 View Post
just ordered my dse sub and Im contenplating on changing the front coil over sprigs from 450lbs (recoomended by dse for LS motor ) I will be running ls6 with magna charger. I remember reading some where on site that the 550lbs will perform better
Im planning on using this car mostly on street but will definetly get it out to the autocross race it as much as possible
if any body has some experience with this would appreciate your imput
The magna charger is not going to add that much weight to justify and additional 100lb spring rate, I would if any thing increase it in minimal amounts 25lbs or so maybe go with a 475 you got to keep in mind these rates are subject to a tolerance plus or minus 10lbs. Especially if it is primarly going to be a steet car you can always adjust the shock valving for the track it makes more of a difference than most think
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 AM

I dont recall exactly what thread mentions the specifics on it but it was said that 450lbs were to loose at max resistance and they were running an ls. I would like to learn from others experience and save some money I would hate to buy in increments of 25lbs until I get to 550lbs and find out thats what I want. hopefully some one that has been there done that can advise

thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM

I'm running an LS and had 550 springs, after upgrading to Ridtech coilovers I went with 500 springs, my car weighs 3300 lbs and I like the combo. I have noticed the lighter spring is better at the autocross, and the road course has not changed. I would talk with DSE and find out what Stacy is using in her car, she is very fast in both events.

Project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro, L92 T56, Chassisworks sub, Quadra-Link, Bear, Ford 9".
Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 AM

I've talked to Kyle and I'm 95% sure he said they run the 450's in both cars. You are adding weight in comparison, but how much?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie 67 View Post
I'm running an LS and had 550 springs, after upgrading to Ridtech coilovers I went with 500 springs, my car weighs 3300 lbs and I like the combo. I have noticed the lighter spring is better at the autocross, and the road course has not changed. I would talk with DSE and find out what Stacy is using in her car, she is very fast in both events.
I agree. DSE puts their cars thru alot of miles. They would offer some sound proven advice.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM

spoke to sal @ american muscle cars and told me if I was not happy with the 450s that he would exchange them at no additional $$$.
thats good enough for me.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 PM

todd
you need an LS in there so we can figure this out.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:57 PM

Kyle Tucker is kicking my ass, I'd listen to him.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@jcg View Post
The magna charger is not going to add that much weight to justify and additional 100lb spring rate, I would if any thing increase it in minimal amounts 25lbs or so maybe go with a 475 you got to keep in mind these rates are subject to a tolerance plus or minus 10lbs. Especially if it is primarly going to be a steet car you can always adjust the shock valving for the track it makes more of a difference than most think
Not sure, and correct me if I am wrong......but everything I have ever known/heard......coil springs should be 99% primarily used to obtain correct ride height ? If additional weight is being placed in the engine compartment than car will sit lower and will have the shock in a not so ideal compressed position and will suffer from minimal compression travel. By adjusting the shock valving you will only stiffen the shock and will still suffer from minimal compressed shock travel and will not be ideal. I suggest increasing spring rate to support car height as needed putting shock in sweet spot so you have necessary compression/rebound.