Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Brake line routing on a DSE quadralink 9" axle

This one tiny project has been waiting to be finished for too long now. It seems like it should be straightforward, but I could use a little inspiration here I guess.

I have the Moser built 9" with DSEs quadralink setup. There is a panhard bar, coilovers, and a big sheetmetal center section to the axle. The problem is that there are no holes or brackets to mount brake lines too. I'm being a little timid about drilling, screwing, welding brackets to the nicely powdercoated axle housing.

Does anyone have a picture of how their brake lines run from caliper to caliper on one of these setups?

My setup is Corvette rear calipers mounted onto the previously mentioned axle. And thats about it right now. I have some flex lines for the calipers, but I probably don't really need them. Nothing moves around back there. Or am I missing something here?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 PM

How about fabbing up a small bracket that mounts to one of the 3rd member studs?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr68 View Post
How about fabbing up a small bracket that mounts to one of the 3rd member studs?
I think thats going to be the plan for the center Tee fitting. I'll likely do that. But anchoring the other end of the lines to the axle tubes will be interesting. There are some places to drill holes and put some tabs on the shock mount areas. I just don't really like the idea of randomly drilling my own holes. Seems like something that DSE might have thought about when they built the axle assembly. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I was just hoping for some ideas from people who have done it.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:03 PM

If its already powdercoated then your kind of limited to some type of bolt on bracket. The bear kits included the holding tabs that can be mounted using worm gear clamps but the clamps aren't very appealing. The brake Tee could be easily fastened to the top of the housing where the third member studs are.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Which Corvette calipers are you running in the rear? The C3 4-piston calipers are fixed and have an SAE port, so you don't need to run hoses with those. The C4, C5, C6(Z51) and C6 Z06 calipers all have 10mm banjo connections, so a hose is typically the easiest from a routing standpoint. Plus, I like to be able to remove the caliper from the rotor in order to pull an axle shaft or swap pads without having to break into the hydraulics if at all possible.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 AM

Good point Tobin. I ran mine with a junction block and bracket at the gear cover and no other tether points but the calipers are fixed. My brake lines are also behind the axle. I would have preferred they were tethered but there weren't any good options but some welding on my brand new painted rear end. If I have any problems, I'll be the first to let you know. I am beating the piss out of her every chance I get. LOL

Last edited by Vegas69; 03-22-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:33 AM

Thanks Tobin!

Good and valuable info. Can you please tell me what is the size of the hard line fitting wich fits for the Z06 rear brake hose ends ?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM

I think I have better pics, but here is one. I welded tabs on top of the axle tubes, used AN bulkhead fittings with SS line to a T on top. I welded a bolt on the top of the 9" to mount the T / flex hose. If I did it again I would move the tab over to better facilitate using differential frame bump stops.\

Matt

Project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro, L92 T56, Chassisworks sub, Quadra-Link, Bear, Ford 9".
Old 03-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieracing View Post
Thanks Tobin!

Good and valuable info. Can you please tell me what is the size of the hard line fitting wich fits for the Z06 rear brake hose ends ?
Which Z06? C5 or C6? The C5 caliper hoses are all 10mm banjo by M10x1.0 female bubble flares whereas they switch to M10x1.0 female inverted flares on the C6 models...not sure why though. For most of these conversions, we would normally supply hoses with 3/8-24 SAE inverted flares to match the early GM applications, but that's the advantage to not using OE hoses.

To add something to what matt pointed out about moving the hard line to the rear of the axle, not only would it make room for bump stops but it also protects the hard line from gravel kicked up by the front tires. You'll see most OE applications run a hard line wrapped with a coiled wire gravel guard in places susceptible to rock damage.

Tobin
KORE3