Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Angry Damn contractors!

What is it with contractors in Massachusetts? Granted I'm in a different part of the state, but I remember reading when WaynieZ was going through all his problems getting a contractor.

I called my first contractor back before the winter. He came out measured and never called back. I called and left a message with another about a month ago and no return phonecall.

I had a friend of mine (has his own structural engineering firm) contact one of his clients and all I got back was a secondhand email, saying that he didn't quite understand what I was looking for, but he still managed to give me what I thought was an outrageous price.

I actually called back my original guy last week (who is a friend by the way) and left a message. No return phonecall

I called another one that I know is reputable and he was supposed to come by today. Well, if he came by I don't think I would have started this thread. Doesn't anybody want work? I thought the econony sucked and no one was spending money so all these contractors are supposed to be hurting?

I'm still holding out hope for today's guy. I am optomistic he will come by tomorrow, but at the same time I know a sucker is born every minute

http://www.northeastrodrun.com/
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

You just gave me a chill thinking back. BRRRRRR! It sucks but ahng in there.
Good luck tomorrow.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

If a guy doesn't do what he SAYS he's going to do ---- what kind of a job do you think you'd get for your money.

There's good contractors out there -- you just need to find one.

Tuesday at 2:00 is Tuesday at 2:00.... not Wednesday "maybe".
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM

What's the scope and scale of the work? Reading between the lines one could assume they may be perceiving the project as more of a liability than opportunity?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
If a guy doesn't do what he SAYS he's going to do ---- what kind of a job do you think you'd get for your money.
I hear ya. At this point I'm not really looking for any of these guys to be my final contractor. I'm just looking for price points, so when I get a decent guy I'll know a little better about the final figures

The way I always look at anything that I purchase (be it goods or services), is that if you have a hard time getting a hold of them just to give them your money, how much harder is it going to be, if you have problems later, once you have already paid them?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
What's the scope and scale of the work? Reading between the lines one could assume they may be perceiving the project as more of a liability than opportunity?
Pretty simple and straight forward stuff.

Somewhere between a 16' or 24' wide by 28' deep addition to the side of an existing garage. Keeping exact same roofline so there is no extra stuff there. Only need to put up three walls and take down the existing wall from the original garage. Pour a 4' foundation (code) and concrete floor. No electrical or interior work needed. All setbacks have plenty of room and no need for any variances and on a level lot

Last edited by Northeast Rod Run; 02-16-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
Pretty simple and straight forward stuff.

Somewhere between a 16' or 24' wide by 28' deep addition to the side of an existing garage. Keeping exact same roofline so there is no extra stuff there. Only need to put up three walls and take down the existing wall from the original garage. All setbacks have plenty of room and no need for any variances and on a level lot
Possible building permit issues?

Being in the floor covering business most my life in the Northwest I've dealt with the same "uncomprehendable" issues. Sometimes (20%) there's justifiable reasons, it's the 80% that's very frustrating.

Maybe try a local well established contrator supply business (not big-box Home Depot/Lowes) for a local contractor referal, they're naturally motivated to provide work for their better customers. Your local building permit department may also be a source.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 PM

A set of approved plans would be a good start. A contractor is not going to know how to build something without them due to needing to see the structurals. Typically your architect will draw up the plans and then send them to an engineer. Once the engineer has calculated the structs they are sent off to the city or county for approval. As long as the city or county has approved them a contractor now knows what is entailed in the build through the structural drawings. There is always a possibility that a soils tech may need to analyze the soils for proper basement/foundation build which could entail work above and beyond typical. The contractor could give you a base estimate on a typical build but that price is not set in stone until he has a set of structurals to look at.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM

I actually have a set of plans being drawn up, eventhough they aren't required by the city

You guys are all bringing up possible issues (though very rare around here for residential stuff), but none of those apply to me yet, because I can't even get a callback nevermind quoting issues.

It is also a very nice and established neighborhood that I live in

Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM

So the city does not require you to submit a set of plans for approval on an addition?
Are you sure your not on Fantasy Island?

Sorry, that was to easy. Good luck!!