Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYathome View Post
Thanks for always keeping us updated with your build. Its quite an amazing car. Unique, simple but not over the top with fabrication.
What made you choose the Ride tech 4 link verses a Watts link? As far as it being a car with a budget in mind it seems like the watts link was the less costly option and still a proven design? Im still learning about a watts link setup and everything else that goes along with it and picking between those two options right now.
Are you wanting to do leaf springs and a watts link? I can't imagine that a watts setup plus aftermarket springs would be much cheaper than a ride tech four link. You also have to think about the leaf spring mods you would have to do for a mini tub and 335 tires and in my mind the four link seems pretty obvious. Also, you get some options for adjustability.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

I am unsure right now about what I would like for the rear suspension. I have time so I am trying to figure the plan out for it. a 295 or 315 is fine for me. Wide is awesome but not the most cost effective for something I intend to drive often. Fays watts link is only $650. new set of leaf springs and decent shocks maybe a couple hundred more. If i was going to try and tuck a 335 ya offset shackles and deep tub would be needed and costs go up. My room mates TA has 315 and he just rolled the fender lip. Rear quarters are almost identical. The watts link can be added to most suspension setups. A watts link can be added to the 4 link setup as long as it does not conflict with range of motion for the 4 link or mounting for it. There are several watts link setups that include coil overs, TQ arms and links. BMR is one of them and there are a couple others out there that have a watts link added to their style suspension. I understand going with one company for front and rear suspension and Ride Tech is a great choice with amazing support team and customer service. I'm just curious for a budget build why not a watts link and off set leaf spring shackles to accommodate tire size wanted? If it was considered if there was a deciding factor behind picking one over the other.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,582 Times in 858 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on the build guys I really appreciate it.

As for why I choose the ride-tech rear set up.

There are some pretty simple reasons.

My goal was to have a 285 or 295 rear tire on the car with one day a matching front tire. If I choose the leaf springs the tire would be really close to the springs and very close to the outer fender lip and I didn't like either of those options.

I actually had purchased a set of mini-tubs from DSE and a set of used DSE leaf springs from a board members but DSE would not sell me the offset spring perch mount even after I begged them to sell them to me. Long story short the springs went into the scrap metal can so they didn't end up in a land fill.

So keeping with the do it yourself at home theory. I made a call to the guys at Ride-Tech and said I wanted the car to sit lower then stock and have some adjustability for spring rate and ride quality. There kit is pretty much bolt in with minor welding and the best bang for the buck.

I was able to do 95% in my garage with my 11 year old daughters help and I only needed the axle brackets welded on. I think I was charged 90 minutes of shop rate to have the kit welded in and that included setting the pinion angle.

Now if you compare it to the Quadra-Link (which is awesome and proven) most shop estimate between 40 to 45 hours on the install and if you don't have a welder / fab skills that is a huge chunk of money as most shops charge between 60 & 85 dollars an hour. (( $2400.00 -- $3400.00 ))

For me the goal with this project is prove to myself I could build a very capable car and save a boatload of cash doing. Spend money where it was going to make an impact and save money and for me Time.

As you kids get older you don't have 5 hours every night to go out to the garage to work on the car and in most case with the RideTech coilover kits you can take you car apart in the morning and be back on the rode by lunch time.

In the end Customer Service, Quality Parts and Proven combinations is what made me choose RideTech. Plus there all pretty darn nice !!

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 04-25-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 PM

I did not see the offset links as an option on their web site. Is it something from the catalogue or requested?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYathome View Post
I did not see the offset links as an option on their web site. Is it something from the catalogue or requested?
You need to ask for them

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
You need to ask for them
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see the build complete and how it performs.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
You need to ask for them
Been talking with ride tech. The offset ones are their standard for this kit now.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 AM

As a Ride Tech Dealer I can't wait to see their new improved A-arms come out.And I also want to say to Marty,Enough already let's get this THING!!!! finished up.lol.Pretty soon this thread will be as long as Payback!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwelder62 View Post
Pretty soon this thread will be as long as Payback!!!

OMG! Say it's not so!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
2nd Chance Camaro - Ride Tech Coil Over Rear Suspension Part II
2012 04-16 Update - Ride Tech Coil Over Rear Suspension Part II
www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Here is what the bracket looks like when it is removed.

I need to thank a couple people here.

Mario from US Collision for letting me borrow his 345 Michelin tire and Chris at JCG Customs www.jcgcustoms.com for letting me borrow his 3 finger wheel tool. The 345 fit perfectly after this very simple modification.

The new Ride Tech lower bracket installed. Much cleaner look and no more ugly u-bolts.

Joe has also been working on the Edelbrock modified exhaust. He made a couple modifications to the floor pan to get the exhaust above the site line under the car. I am very happy with the progress of the exhaust so far.

All done and ready to roll.

Who makes the three finger wheel tool you used?