Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Here's where mine is mounted

Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistblue View Post
Because of lack of space in the engine compartment, I had thoughts about installing dry sump tank in the trunk.

Is it doable?
Is there anything I need to consider?, .... i.e. placement of the tank, length of hoses, etc.

Hope You can help me out.

Pether.
I have an LS engine in my 69 Camaro with a dry sump set up. I used a 4 stage dry sump pump and a 3.5 gallon capacity oil tank in the trunk. The engine builder recommended to use a tank with 3 gallon capacity minimum for the trunk installation. For the pressure line I used 20AN part way, then reduced to 16AN. The scavenge (return) line is 20AN for the full run.

I mounted the outlet on the tank up above the inlet to the pump so the pump always has a head of oil (gravity feed). Here are some pictures of the oil tank installed in the trunk.

The trunk install works great as long as you have the pump and lines sized correctly. My engine builder had lots of experience with dry sump system and provided instructions and a schematic for the plumbing. Also... make sure to vent the tank outside the trunk.

It was more work and expense to do the plumbing... but it's nice to have the extra space and clean look under the hood.

69 Camaro-Nutter Racing Engines/427CI LS2 sleeved/LS7 CNC ported heads/Custom cam/T&D 1.8 rockers/Manley crank/Manley H-beam rods/Weisco pistons/NRC Pro Series dry sump/Kooks/NA,92 octane,11.5:1- 672HP @ 6,900RPM, 566TQ @ 5,500RPM
Build Thread- http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...ine-build.html
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 AM

I would install a bung for a heater element that plugs in. Preheat the oil before driving or else the oil pressure is sky high for a while. That's what's in my LS7 RX7. I have a 3 gallon Peterson tank behind the passenger seat. Doesn't get too toasty . The factory LS7/GS/LS9 dry sump is kind of a joke compared to a real aftermarket system. If you have the $ and will seriously track the car... Go that route!

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....

Last edited by gnx7; 03-03-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx7 View Post
I would install a bung for a heater element that plugs in. Preheat the oil before driving or else the oil pressure is sky high for a while. That's what's in my LS7 RX7. I have a 3 gallon Peterson tank behind the passenger seat. Doesn't get too toasty . The factory LS7/GS/LS9 dry sump is kind of a joke compared to a real aftermarket system. If you have the $ and will seriously track the car... Go that route!
I agree the factory dry sump isn't 100% optimum but! it's still a hell of a lot better than any wet sump/accusump band-aided system. Not anywhere as good as something like a Dailey Engineering set up but, still should perform well at any task a set of DOT200 tires could subject it to. The only late model GS/C6Z owners I have known to have scavenge problems were running sticky track tires on a trailered dedicated track car.

GM never required me to preheat the oil in my C6 Z06 but I did witness my buddies brother Jim Herlinger go through a 3 hour ordeal to start his ALMS Pratt&Miller C5R Vette. The guy from Pratt&Miller told him that a different spec motor could be built to allow starts with ambient temprature oil/water temps. That C5R was docked to a pre start cart the likes of which I had only observed being used by the Toyota F-1 team at Laguna Seca.....I don't want to have anything to do with any car that requires the employment of a "Race Engineer" to get it onto the track.

Last edited by Solid LT1; 03-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid LT1 View Post
I agree the factory dry sump isn't 100% optimum but! it's still a hell of a lot better than any wet sump/accusump band-aided system. Not anywhere as good as something like a Dailey Engineering set up but, still should perform well at any task a set of DOT200 tires could subject it to. The only late model GS/C6Z owners I have known to have scavenge problems were running sticky track tires on a trailered dedicated track car.

GM never required me to preheat the oil in my C6 Z06 but I did witness my buddies brother Jim Herlinger go through a 3 hour ordeal to start his ALMS Pratt&Miller C5R Vette. The guy from Pratt&Miller told him that a different spec motor could be built to allow starts with ambient temprature oil/water temps. That C5R was docked to a pre start cart the likes of which I had only observed being used by the Toyota F-1 team at Laguna Seca.....I don't want to have anything to do with any car that requires the employment of a "Race Engineer" to get it onto the track.

Guys, be careful when selecting your heating elements for these tanks. You have options of wattages, and the higher wattage ones will actually scorch the oil in the tank, and turn it a dark color. I bought a tank for my late model once from Ernie Irvin, and he had a large element in it which scorched mine.
I ran a 15 quart tank, and could safely preheat my oil to 100 degrees. We always did this at the track, for qualifying, and pre-race.
With both corvettes that I've owned, I never got on the car until I saw my oil temp reach 170 degrees, but I'm anal about how to treat a cold engine vs. a warm engine.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Guys, be careful when selecting your heating elements for these tanks. You have options of wattages, and the higher wattage ones will actually scorch the oil in the tank, and turn it a dark color. I bought a tank for my late model once from Ernie Irvin, and he had a large element in it which scorched mine.
I ran a 15 quart tank, and could safely preheat my oil to 100 degrees. We always did this at the track, for qualifying, and pre-race.
With both corvettes that I've owned, I never got on the car until I saw my oil temp reach 170 degrees, but I'm anal about how to treat a cold engine vs. a warm engine.
Good call there. I need to check the wattage on the probe heaters that came with my tank. I think it has 2 heaters with plug-ins ready to go.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer