Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-07-2013, 03:55 AM

Default Lateral-G. What motivates YOU

I was thinking about the various builds detailed here, how much thought, time, effort and money goes into them. This made me curious about what motivates you to build what you are building.

So the question of course is what motivates YOU to build the car you are building?

After doing several cars that had drivetrains and suspensions leaning towards the more racy side of things, I've realized that I personally enjoy a car more when I sacrifice performance capability to comfort.

That being said, is your ultimate goal some type of compromise as well or are you after the highest performing fastest cornering car you can build?

After answering that, have you rode in/driven/experienced in some sort of way the type of car you are trying to build or do just believe the end result of your car will be what you expect based on your component selection?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Wow! Excellent thought provoking questions!

I'm dying to see some of the responses. It will take some soul searching to come up with HONEST answers.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 AM

I was thinking the same thing Greg! Very good question Jim.

For me it's about building a nice balanced street car that can hit a track day here and there. I also am building my on a budget as most are, it always seems that just when I get to where I'm ready to buy some more parts that I need the money for something else Yesterday I had to pay for my playoff tickets for the Bears??? Really their 6 & 6 on a two game slide with the Cowboys coming to town

Oh well next month!!!

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Building your own idea of a car is just great. A pro-touring car is no showcar but a real driver.
For me a pro-touring car is a car when you look at it, you feel already the power without hearing or driving the car.

So, that's something that really attracts me in Pro touring!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 AM

What honestly motivates me to build, Is the personal gratification I get from that drive down the street when people stop and stare at your car, Young and old. It is a mental challenge from stainless brake lines, to wiring. How to charge battery when it's in trunk and not in front of car anymore.

My car is a 69 Camaro, with art Morrison chassis. I would love to get it to the track someday. Really it will probably be driven on the street more then track.

I am doing all the work myself. I am in Riverton Wyoming and you don't just go to the local shops and ask for advice for a project like this, most people scratch there head. I have done the frame install, bodywork, and engine, and electrical.

I don't think it will ride like a Cadillac, More like my F350, I would like to put a little more to custom side interior for road trips.

I would like to thank Greg Weld for answering my questions I have emailed him. I would also like to thank the guys on the forum for there replys. It saves me time and frustration having great sources for advice.

GW,, He often doesn't answer straight up but makes me THINK!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 AM

What motivate's me. Is the desire to keep building better. There Is a small part of me that is never happy with the car I just finished. I always feel like I could have done a better job. I get a car finished then sit back and ponder over it. I see little thing's that had if I would have done a little different would have made to a lot nicer,cooler,better.So the answer to me is start all over w/a new plan.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,581 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
I was thinking about the various builds detailed here, how much thought, time, effort and money goes into them. This made me curious about what motivates you to build what you are building.

So the question of course is what motivates YOU to build the car you are building?

After doing several cars that had drivetrains and suspensions leaning towards the more racy side of things, I've realized that I personally enjoy a car more when I sacrifice performance capability to comfort.

That being said, is your ultimate goal some type of compromise as well or are you after the highest performing fastest cornering car you can build?

After answering that, have you rode in/driven/experienced in some sort of way the type of car you are trying to build or do just believe the end result of your car will be what you expect based on your component selection?
I'm actually going the same direction as you. My last build (64 Chevelle) opened my eyes to how much better the full frame cars like that ride. With the right parts that car still handled extremely well, but was the most comfortable car to drive of all the muscle cars that I've built. The older I get the less tolerance I have for an uncomfortable ride, loud exhaust, etc. You know, all the stuff that didn't matter in high school. I will be selling my 73 Camaro project soon and at some point start looking for another Chevelle.

I also agree with the whole horsepower deal. While it will have at least 500 hp or so, I'm not going to chase the 1000 hp twin turbo deal either. I want something that's a lot of fun to drive, doesn't break, and looks good.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 AM

There's definitely a motivation that brings me here (the shop) 6 days sometimes 7 days a week. I would have to say its a combination of things one being the endless list of ideas and designs I have always wanted to do, there's not enough time (or money!) in my life to try everything, but I want to get as much in as possible.
This may sound like an ad for BMW, but having worked for them a number of years, I constantly analyzed about what makes these cars drive and handle better than the majority of cars on the road? Some of these cars had 200k on them and had no squeaks and rattles. (My 01 740i sport was the best daily driver I ever owned) I started noticing details such as insulated clamps, anti friction materials on adjoining panels and wiring harnesses to eliminate squeaks, their linear power bands, the way the vehicle is balanced and always thought how cool it would be to try and replicate as much as this as possible into a classic american body style. Personally I love the challenge to try to incorporate these things into each and every build as much as the customer allows. So to me the motivation is setting the bar at the level of Audi, MBZ, BMW ect. and trying with every build to get there. I think with the Pro Touring generation getting older (lets face it, we are and the car hobby goes through cycles) more and more people are going to expect their "hot rod" to have the comfort and manners more in line with their 500 hp daily driver and I love the challenge.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Got tired of building things with a keyboard(software engineer) and wanted to build something special with my own bare hands to see what I was capable of. The first year and half of building was fun, but after that my motivation changed to just wanting to finish. After finally completing version 1 of my '69 after 2.5 years, I was slightly disappointed with the performance. So I spent another year building version 2. Now, I could not be happier with the final result and feel my original mission is complete. I did what I wanted to do and proved what I wanted to prove and I'm done. I now just want to drive and enjoy all my hard work, and get out of the garage and spend more time with my friends, family, and other hobbies. My next build will hopefully be raising children.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:04 PM

I'm motivated by a few elements that surround the car hobby. I'm not a track guy like many of you, but I sure appreciate the level some of you go to making old iron into missiles. For me it's a blend of:

Anything Rad Rides by Troy builds

SEMA

Lateral G

New technology

Getting a burger with my wife in our '29. The blower, the pipes, the smile and point of a young kid at a stoplight knowing he's now happily infected by the "bug".

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA