Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Default A-body A arm cross shafts not all the same?

Please help!

I'm building a 64 Skylark and was working towards installing my after market upper control arms but found that I can't use my stock cross shafts. Looking into it further, it seems that Skylark may have been different than the Chevelles? This surprised me.

Will it work if I buy a set of Chevelle cross shafts? Is the rest geometry the same between the Skylark and Chevelle? I plan on pulling a few G's in the corners and want everything right.

Thanks,

Gene
Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Your a-arm crossshafts probably have screw in metal bushings. I know my 65 Skylark has them and they are a really good design for stock(no deflection like rubber bushings). The frame uprights are the same as other a-body cars so aftermarket control arms should bolt on with out changing anything else.

Now, if you just want to replace the bushings in your stock arms to run poly or Delrin bushings you will have to get some Chevelle a-arms. I am not sure if you can run aftermarket crossshafts with the screw in bushings. Since the Buick arms are threaded you can only replace the bushings with new stock style screw in bushings.

Hope this helps. There are not a lot of 64-65 Buick cars on Lat-G or Pro-touring so information can be hard to find.

Josh
Old 11-30-2011, 01:36 PM

Crap, been lurking for so long I did not realize this is my first post...I better find the newbie section
Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Default All A-Bodies are NOT created equal!

Yes, your comments are correct. I had bought an aftermarket set of upper control arms that come without the cross shafts. The kits was advertised for all A-bodies in the years mentioned. As was said, at least the Skylarks are different. I ended up buying a replacement set of cross shafts for a Chevelle in the same year and it all bolted together fine. So.... All A-bodies are not created equal! The suppliers should not treat them as if they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPDRacing View Post
Your a-arm crossshafts probably have screw in metal bushings. I know my 65 Skylark has them and they are a really good design for stock(no deflection like rubber bushings). The frame uprights are the same as other a-body cars so aftermarket control arms should bolt on with out changing anything else.

Now, if you just want to replace the bushings in your stock arms to run poly or Delrin bushings you will have to get some Chevelle a-arms. I am not sure if you can run aftermarket crossshafts with the screw in bushings. Since the Buick arms are threaded you can only replace the bushings with new stock style screw in bushings.

Hope this helps. There are not a lot of 64-65 Buick cars on Lat-G or Pro-touring so information can be hard to find.

Josh
Old 12-06-2011, 12:33 AM

Gene – Who’s aftermarket arms don’t come with control arm shafts? They must not be ours.

http://www.hotchkis.net/gm_abody_tub...k_spindle.html
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Gene – Who’s aftermarket arms don’t come with control arm shafts? They must not be ours.

http://www.hotchkis.net/gm_abody_tub...k_spindle.html
Ahhh you are very astute my friend. I originaly purchased a kit from another member who had gone a different route. It had McGaughies A arms with Hothkis springs dropped front spindles and 13" brakes. Since then my build changed as well ATS AFX spindles and everything is Hotchkis except for the A-Arms. They seem like they are built well and I painted them black.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64skylarkls1 View Post
Ahhh you are very astute my friend. I originaly purchased a kit from another member who had gone a different route. It had McGaughies A arms with Hothkis springs dropped front spindles and 13" brakes. Since then my build changed as well ATS AFX spindles and everything is Hotchkis except for the A-Arms. They seem like they are built well and I painted them black.

64Skylarkls1 – There’s nothing wrong with getting some parts second hand as long as they’re in good shape. Sometimes you can find parts with zero miles. Good luck with your A-arms. You know where we are if you ever decide to get Hotchkis arms.