Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Something else that has always been a concern of mine is that most aftermarket wheels do not locate off the register. All the load is on the studs constantly. We have been machining spacers lately so that the wheels will locate center. We've had lots of studs breaking in the last couple years. Mostly Moroso 1/2" studs in 300-400 HP drivers.

www.hitmanhotrods.com
Old 10-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Something else that has always been a concern of mine is that most aftermarket wheels do not locate off the register. All the load is on the studs constantly. We have been machining spacers lately so that the wheels will locate center. We've had lots of studs breaking in the last couple years. Mostly Moroso 1/2" studs in 300-400 HP drivers.
Thats the direction I was going with this. I am going to get back on the car this week and get some measurments on the wheels and the axles. The bottom line is there is not enough HP or traction here to be doing this. I will post my findings and let ya know!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:14 PM

So we bored the lug nut holes out to take a full shank lug nut, put new studs in the axles, and put some hub centric sleves in. Everything works perfect and also eliminated a very small vibration the car had at higher speeds. The moral of the story is the tapered face lugs with no shank were letting things move around which ended with wheel stud failure. Every car that leaves this shop will now be getting the same wheel treatment. Im kinda suprised all of these "high dollar" billet wheel companies run the same generic lug style!