Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM

Default Booster choice?

I have just purchased a set of 85' corvette front disc brakes to go along with my new front subframe. I have some CPP rear disc brakes and the CPP booster, master, and prop valve.
Is this master going to give me adequate brake pressure or are the new front calipers going to mess with my set up?
Thanks everyone.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay69camaro View Post
...CPP booster, master, and prop valve.
Is this master going to give me adequate brake pressure or are the new front calipers going to mess with my set up?...
What is the bore of your CPP master cylinder? The early single-piston C4 Corvette front calipers had 54mm [2.125"] piston diameters, so rather small by comparison to most of the 63.5mm [2.50"] or 74.6mm [2.94"] cast iron units used extensively. To the best of my knowledge, most of CPP's disc/disc kits are designed around 1-1/8" bore MC's, so it that's what you have then I believe that you'll have trouble generating enough pressure to get the front brakes to work to your sastisfaction.

Check your MC bore size and maybe post up which rear calipers you're using, or at least the piston size. Also, include whatever information you have regarding the booster since there are a lot of variants that could have a large effect on your overall braking system.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM

1" bore on the master cylinder and 2.5" on the rear claipers. I measured the front caliper piston and it's overall length is 2.125". The booster is an 8".
Is the set up going to work?
What is the equation I can use to check to see what will work?

Last edited by clay69camaro; 09-28-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added words
Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 PM

Should I just buy a new master that will work with corvette front and rear disc brakes? Or would my master still work with that type of set up too?

A wilwood? those look pretty trick. Are they power? anyone got a link for them I can view?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
1" bore on the master cylinder and 2.5" on the rear claipers. I measured the front caliper piston and it's overall length is 2.125". The booster is an 8".
Is the set up going to work?
What is the equation I can use to check to see what will work?
No single master cylinder is going to be able to fix the inherent imbalance between your front and rear calipers...your rear calipers have almost 40% more piston area than your fronts which is basically opposite where you want to be. I'm assuming your rear rotor diameters are somewhere between 11 & 12 inches, close to the 12" C4's you're running up front, so the effective radius between the two are very similar. You can stagger your brake pad coefficients of friction to regain some balance, but that won't fix a major imbalance and is usually reserved for fine tuning.

If you're set on your caliper choices, the best solution might be to run a dual master cylinder setup so that you could select the MC bore diameters separately front and rear. Installing dual MC's is typically more fab intensive and costly than just swapping out one end for some other calipers/rotors/pads/etc.

If swapping to a smaller rear caliper is an option (like a C4, C5, C6, etc), that would be the best solution in my opinion. A standard tandem MC is a much more practical choice at that point.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 11-07-2009, 08:59 PM

Well I get everything you said and it makes perfect sense.
I was looking at your website and was wondering if you could tell me how I could upgrade my spindles to accept the c5/c6 stuff, because I'd love to order a whole c5 z06 front and rear application from you guys.
I'm not in love with my new c4 front brakes so parting with them so I could have a full matching set that performs much better is ideal.
Thanks Clay
Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Well I get everything you said and it makes perfect sense.
I was looking at your website and was wondering if you could tell me how I could upgrade my spindles to accept the c5/c6 stuff, because I'd love to order a whole c5 z06 front and rear application from you guys.
I'm not in love with my new c4 front brakes so parting with them so I could have a full matching set that performs much better is ideal.
Thanks Clay
It is much easier to make a basically balanced brake system perform well than an unbalanced one any day of the week. If you have any questions regarding our kits, please feel free to contact us via phone or email from our website, www.kore3.com, and we'd be happy to discuss your options.

Tobin
KORE3