Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Tires

Hey all, i'm hoping to have the car ready for the OUSCI event (not signed up yet on account of, car not ready...).

I have one year old Falkin Azenis's, two track days on them, plenty of tread.

The instructor i had with me at Las Vegas with me said i "fried" the tires. "Got em too hot", last run of the day, they got a little slick...

Is that just for the day, or are they toast. They are not sticky to the touch, but when they were new, they were sticky (garage temp 65* +/-)

Can they be "reheat" cycled like a slick?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 PM

I dunno Mike. All I can say is plenty of people who beat on their cars hard have put more events and miles on those tires than that. I would surely think they aren't quite "toast" yet.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 02-19-2016, 06:43 AM

I've gotten Azeni's "pretty hot n slick" several times before during track days, but they always seemed okay during the next session after cooling off. They may not still have their optimum stick left for autocross though which is much more tire dependant than road course duty.

I have 3 sets of Azenis now with about half tread left on them which I consider used up for autocross, but plan on wearing completely out during track days this season.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:30 PM

I'd be kind of surprised.

I track the hell out of my Falken tires and don't see traction drop off until you start getting down to around 2/32's of tread.

For example, I have 4.5 track days and a number of autocross events on my current Falken tires and last weekend they were still pulling 1+g's on the autocross. I might even run them at Thunderhill next weekend as they are mostly still around 3/32 tread. Will decide after I autocross them again this Sunday.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
The instructor i had with me at Las Vegas with me said i "fried" the tires. "Got em too hot", last run of the day, they got a little slick...
Just wanted to add that you absolutley can overhead the tires and "fry" them for that session which I've done but the tire has always come back when cooled off.

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023

Last edited by Chad-1stGen; 02-19-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

There's a simple test for when tires are "done" -- a relatively inexpensive tool called a DUROMETER.

http://www.longacreracing.com/techni...aspx?item=8167
Old 02-19-2016, 06:04 PM

Thanx for the response you guys. Lance, that was kinda what i was thinking too, i suck at autocross anyways, well the track too. But it sure beats mowing the lawn lol..

I remember Ron talking about that durometer at the suspension seminar...i think its a must if i continue to track....which i plan on...

thanx all.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 PM

Mike, you're out there to have fun. The tires will be fine, just drive it!

I got the Falkens on the Miata greasy a couple of times at Oregon Raceway Park and they seamed to recover fine. Those same tires also had prior laps on T-Hill's 5 mile with Hobaugh driving.

It really depends on track temps during the event and how you drive the tires, if you're smooth and don't stress them early in the session they should perform just fine.

Now if you're looking for a reason to justify buying new tires.....by all means don't let me stand in your way.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 PM

I agree with these slow pokes, you aren't going to win, go out and enjoy yourself and save a few bucks.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Mike, you're out there to have fun. The tires will be fine, just drive it!

I got the Falkens on the Miata greasy a couple of times at Oregon Raceway Park and they seamed to recover fine. Those same tires also had prior laps on T-Hill's 5 mile with Hobaugh driving.

It really depends on track temps during the event and how you drive the tires, if you're smooth and don't stress them early in the session they should perform just fine.

Now if you're looking for a reason to justify buying new tires.....by all means don't let me stand in your way.
Fun? I thought this was business! Oh, well that changes things lol. The simple things i seem to forget.

Sieg, loving your pics on IG btw, follow @tymilford hes a pro-photographer up by u, he also pics for Rennsport (hes married to my sisters life long friend). I havent met him yet but he has two old 911's....
Old 02-20-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I agree with these slow pokes, you aren't going to win, go out and enjoy yourself and save a few bucks.
That literally made me LOL. Well, loud chuckle...

Its a fun event to drive, just hope the cars done, at this point I'm really doubting it.