Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Should there be a lot more articles written about the LS Engine Platform?
Coverage of the LS Platform (Gen III and Gen IV) should be increased a lot. 35 63.64%
Coverage should be equal between the three Engine Types (SBC, BBC and LSx) 13 23.64%
Coverage is about right the way it is. 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default Poll: More LSx Articles or Not?

To Everyone:

SBC's and BBC's have been around for roughly 50 and 40 years respectively, and frankly coverage on them is so heavy, every issue is just a variation of the previous months write ups on the SCB and the BBC. I think it's time to focus on the future of the Hot Rodding which is the Gen III and the Gen IV Engine Technology.

The new LS Technology IS the power plant of the future, and they are becoming dirt cheap to buy out of wrecked cars, plus they make a lot of easy power.

I personally would like to see a lot more magazine space talking about, Testing, Upgrading, Hopping up, Different Combinations of Parts that Work etc. etc. of the LS series of engines.

After Voting, please write about why you voted the way you did, so some additional depth can be learn about your decision.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal

BTW: To the, "Keepers of the Flame", I really appreciate you taking the time to keep this site up and current, and give a us a great place to interact with other Car Geeks.

Last edited by tyoneal; 01-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Even though I am a big block guy I agree. How many times can you do an article on a big block stroker. Three months in a row for one magazine I get. It's got to be tough to come up with new materials for these magazines every month.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 PM

I agree that this is going to be the next "thing" but the key word is next. I voted for them to have the same amount of press. Once they are the "thing" then they should have most all of the press.

I did not put a LSAnything in my car because I still feel that they are a current motor and that would make my car look current which is not what i wanted.

Remember that the LS line gets more press then any other current motor, even the hyped Hemi...

I think that most people have computers and internet but we need to remember how good many of us have it, to many of us LS are a good deal, but when you can put together a running SBC for $1K, thats a deal...

Also its the amount of aftermarket parts that are around...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 PM

I voted for more LSx coverage. I see some, but not enough to keep me away from some other LSx sites. Not that you guys don't know, it's just that it feels aquard asking a late model question to (mostly) early model engine guys.

I have an LS1 in my 69 Camaro and it still isin't on the road yet, so theres no telling what kinda questions I could ask in the near future.

MY opinion about LSx powered cars......

~1. Lotsa power from a stock motor with the benefit of an all lightweight alluminum design.

~2. Extreme reliability

~3. Extremely fuel efficient.......have you looked at the price of gas lately? Yeah....thats what I thought.

~4......but not least, how cool would it be to point a keyfob at your car and start it from inside the house? You can't do this with a carbed car.

Joe
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM

While LSx's are popular here, we my friends are not the masses....there are way more people running SBC BBC than there are LSx stuff. The mags have to cater to the masses...
Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ
I agree that this is going to be the next "thing" but the key word is next. I voted for them to have the same amount of press. Once they are the "thing" then they should have most all of the press.

I did not put a LSAnything in my car because I still feel that they are a current motor and that would make my car look current which is not what i wanted.

Remember that the LS line gets more press then any other current motor, even the hyped Hemi...

I think that most people have computers and internet but we need to remember how good many of us have it, to many of us LS are a good deal, but when you can put together a running SBC for $1K, thats a deal...

Also its the amount of aftermarket parts that are around...
===============================================
Hi:

Thanks for chiming. I do realize that sbc's are still really inexpensive to build, however MOST of the sbc builds I see in the magazines brag about being less than $3000 or $3500 or $4000. (Many 383 builds) None that I have seen lately are anywhere near $1000, or less than $2000. Now if the writers did do some articles on sbc's in the $1000 range, I would like to read them, because that would truly be at least something different.

As far as BBC's are concerned they are never if rarely ever under $2000 unless you have you got some super special deal or something, most are $4000 and up.

When you can buy a LS1 out of corvette for $3000- $4000 and have the computer and front drive accessories etc., It's hard to see very many decent sbc's that are much if any cheaper than that.

As far as the LS engines being the, "Next", thing, well they have already been around 10 years in a number of different variations and in all vehicles from trucks to sports cars. (If a V8 engine)

Some hot supercharged or turbocharged V6's in some PT rides would be an interesting excursion. Since you only need 350-500 RWHP to have a Hot Road Race Car, V6's might be an interesting exercise.

If GM every put out a V6 with the LS technology, (Which I can't help but think that will happen someday) you could have a really light engine, make gobs of power and have a good part of a killer road handling ride.

I guess in Hot Rod, Super Chevy, CHP, Car Craft etc. I'm VERY HUNGRY for 10 years old and newer engines. Even right ups about the new hemi's and fords are fine. Just something newer. When I got my license 30 years ago in 1978 the sbc was a 20 years old engine. At that time almost no writers in the more modern magazines (Same ones we read today) were writing about hot rodding the Flat head's of the 50's. They were writing about current technology

Please don't take my wrong, I promise I'm not trying to give you a hard time, or do away with write ups on the sbc, I just REALLY want to see some major print space going for the engines of the last 10 years.

Please respond if I have made any gross errors on my part, I certainly don't want to try and make a point with poor information, or ruin any of the fun you have reading the magazines.

I really do understand you wanting to do a period correct engine build, and I would also like to see some of those as well, especially if they did something different, like 350 Pontiac, or a 425 Nailhead or even a Hot Rod Flathead occasionally would be interesting. Heck I have a 425 Nailhead and I don't know enough about it to tell you what the, "Nailhead", even means.

The actually difference between the 455 Olds, Buick and Pontiac and the Pros and Cons of each would be interesting.

How about an article on Diesel Racing Technology for a modern Hot Rod?

How about when you would use a cast crank vs a forged crank vs a billet crank. How they are different and when you would want to use each of them?

The list could go on and on, but a lot more LS information, combinations, new products, new uses for old products, anything, just help us exercise our Brains a little more.

Anyway enough of me. Sorry for rambling.

Ty
Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Lots of LSx info and tech features in GM hitech performance mag

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...les/index.html
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Articles are good but you need interaction to really

get the info you need. Hence why we come to this site. When I was researching a motor for my car and trying to decide on a combination, I spent untold hours on www.ls1tech.com

I try to stay away from the site now, because after 5 minutes there I am ready for my next LS motor build.

I am sure there are more shops out there than the ones that I am going to list, but Wheel to Wheel, LME or Katech seem to have the rep and know what is going on because they have tried it or are in the process.

If you are serious about a build, I would call one of these guys and tell them what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Im only interested in the LS motor becasue of my truck. I like to read about these motors because there a damn marvel. I would like to see some articles on them. I would like to also see articles on more Race oriented engines too.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM

More!

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS