Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default Anybody use Campbell Auto Restoration Sub-Frame?

Was reading the October Issue of PHR, article, "Orange Crush".

There is a very Bad Ass 69 Camaro with a subframe by, "Campbell Auto Restoration".

Front tire widths 295 with no rubbing.
Splined adjustable Sway Bar
Adjustable UCA's
Very nice Roll Cage etc etc

Has anyone had a chance to check out their subframe?

Anyone done any business with them?

How was your experience?

Quality of workmanship?

Customer Service?

If nothing else, check out the article. Other than the Big Block that is in it, it looks like an awesome PT/Corner Carver.

Ty
Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 PM

they are local to me, and i know that all the work they do is absolutely top notch.
when i was looking for a shop to do my body work i looked at them a few times. the only reason that i didn't go with them was because:

a) they did not have room for me anywhere in the near future at all

b) they were waaay to expensive for what i could afford

but i will vouch for their quality.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

There doing some work on a members car here,Mazspeed (Mike Bassi).Im pretty sure some of there employee's are members here too.

Last edited by jonny51; 09-22-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:50 PM

Everything they do is top notch, therefore you will pay. I had an indepth conversation with Mark Schwartz from CAR and he really amazed me with his knowledge of suspension...lost me real quick!

They deal with Very high end customers that expect only the best, so if you can afford it, go for it!

Matt

'69 'Vert Camaro: DSE Sub-Frame, DSE Mini-Tub, DSE Four-Link w/9inch. LME LS7 427, T56. Tuned by Ed Hutchings, :SOLD!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM

My car is there now. They have high quality work, and the crew is great and friendly. Kevin from CAR posts here as "kp touring" There subframe is incredible, but not for everybody. The subframe thay make is for racing with a bit of street thrown in. Every frame is a custom deal built for a customer who wants over the top adjustments and 7 inches of travel. It's also a very costly subframe. They are the ones that redid the suspension side of my fatman subframe and it handles like no other fatman ever made.

Last edited by mazspeed; 09-22-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Supporting Member

Mazspeed:

Thanks for chiming in. I too spoke with kevin. He was very friendly and very informative. I am having some information sent to me regarding their work.

When you say, "There subframe is incredible, but not for everybody. The subframe they make is for racing with a bit of street thrown in. Every frame is a custom deal built for a customer who wants over the top adjustments and 7 inches of travel. It's also a very costly subframe. They are the ones that redid the suspension side of my fatman subframe and it handles like no other fatman ever made."

Would you mind elaborating on:

-"Incredible, but not for everyone"?

-"subframe they make is for racing with a bit of street thrown in"?
(Would it be a challenge for it to be used on the street? If so, why? (In your opinion)
(How is it different than the, DSE, AM etc?)

-"Every frame is a custom deal built for a customer who wants over the top adjustments and 7 inches of travel" (I understand "Custom Made", when you mention, "Over the top adjustments", can you elaborate on this?

"What all did they do for your "Fatman" Frame?

I'm getting the idea that like LD's "3-Link" there architecture/engineering, performance, and challenge of installation is a step above both in quality and price than the more advertised subframes there are on the market. (Is this a fair statement?)

To which of course means that 99% of the people out there would probably not be able to appreciate the engineering that went into it. Therefore the other companies are appealing to a completely different market segment. (Those who also probably can't utilize the performance of the less expensive products, but don't have or don't want to spend the extra amount on that type of product);-)

I've spoken to many of the subframe suppliers and seen many of their products. All the ones I have seen so far have been top notch, (I would be proud to have any of them in my car), this question was meant to just understand the difference between a car like "Fuel", and a F-16 jet.

Both are excellent for their intended purpose, but not necessarily to be compared to each other. (Oranges and apples)

I hope I have not offended anyone in this post. As you know by now I have tried to really understand the different products being offered to the PT market, especially in regards to, Front Subframes, Rear Suspension choices, and the different engine packages that are able to be Purchased.

It is truly a great time to be restoring/Modifying Classic cars.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Ty O'Neal

Last edited by tyoneal; 09-22-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneal
There is a very Bad Ass 69 Camaro with a subframe by, "Campbell Auto Restoration"
Hell yeah it's a bad ass Camaro.. I have seen that car and talked to the owner. Killer car. But then again, he's got $300k into it!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Keep in mind they don't sell that subframe as a kit. They will only sell it if THEY install it since it's quite complicated.

I shot the car and the craftsmanship was top notch.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
Keep in mind they don't sell that subframe as a kit. They will only sell it if THEY install it since it's quite complicated.

I shot the car and the craftsmanship was top notch.
Hey Steve,didn't PHR have some sort of test on that C.A.R camaro?If so how did it compare to other cars with aftermarket subs?I remember hearing that sub was like 14k,I may be mistaken though.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny51
Hey Steve,didn't PHR have some sort of test on that C.A.R camaro?If so how did it compare to other cars with aftermarket subs?I remember hearing that sub was like 14k,I may be mistaken though.
I think it's 12k but like Steve said, they will only put it in, if they are doing the work. Then it's even higher because of the labor involved in putting that thing in so it might amount to even more.