Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Finish on a SS gas tank?

I do alot of reading here and do not post alot but like seeing all of the cars you guys post up.

I just purchased a Rick's tank through the GP website and wondered if you guys are painting them, powder coat, or just leave them natural? I am leaning towards PC, I have a guy here in town does that does great reasonably priced work. I am not a fan of the bling and think it will stand out hanging off the back of the car like it does. I know there alot of guys with the Rick's tank and figured I would ask those that have done it already. What do you guys think? Thanks,

Jimmy
Old 07-29-2007, 09:11 PM

I dont have a rick's tank but I do have a DSE ss tank. I hit it with a buffer to get it a bit more mirror like shine. I love it! I would leave it alone. I love it when people see it under the car and

Thats my .02

Last edited by WicKeD_SS; 07-29-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:09 AM

id powder coat it black or any color you line they have many colors and a few that look like alum or even rust.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 AM

just one thing to keep in mind, the stainless steel is only stainless when exposed to air... if you cover it with paint.. it will rust if the paint chips and traps water in a low oxygen environment.. so it will last longer if left exposed
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_454
just one thing to keep in mind, the stainless steel is only stainless when exposed to air... if you cover it with paint.. it will rust if the paint chips and traps water in a low oxygen environment.. so it will last longer if left exposed
wow, I never knew that.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 PM

I have never heard anything like that either. I thought stainless didn't rust period? I know there are different grades of stainless and one in the 400's will get some splotchy rust over time. Hopefully since it will be garaged and not see alot of rainy days it will be ok. Thanks for the help,
Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 AM

stainless is only stainless because the high chrome and nickel content forms an oxygen-tight oxide layer on top of the material when exposed to air.. if you look in a scrapyard at some stainless scrap covered in wet leaves or simmilar decomposing plant matreial.. you will find that the stainless corrodes under the wet leaves... "rusting" stainless looks black and very sad.. now on a showcar i am sure that a painted stainless fueltank will have a service life of several hundred years... so paint ahead.. but if you shoot it with somthing like rhino-liner and it lifts enough to trap water.. you could see corrosion

but to keep stainless uncorroded it should be left clean, and exposed to air.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM

i powder coated my rock valley stainless tank a satin black and i was going to polish the straps when i installed it but i havent gotten that far yet. I 'm not a huge fan of the "bling" either thats why i powdercoated mine.

72 Nova SS, Plans have changed a little:artmorrison front subframe, and rear 3 link, pretty much stock ls1 and six speed with a single turbo for around 550hp. with a few other things mixed in.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct

and why do we modify everything...."BECAUSE STOCK SUCKS"