Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Default Mig selection narrowing to HTP mig200

I am open to comments for and against but the short story is I am leaning toward a HTP mig200 from USAWELD
I have been watching Craigslist for months, mostly for Miller machines because I have actually never used anything else. My last 2 employers had 251/252's so in 17 years that is all I have used. While I do not weld all that often I am one of 2 that do where I work now.

At this time I do not see myself doing much beyond some structural mods to my subframe, DSE Sf Connectors and replacing my trunkpan. Eventually there could be more sheetmetal work and I am sure opinions will fly that a TIG is the answer there but I don't feel the urge for the investment or learning curve. Right now time is very short for me and I like my "point and shoot" comprehension and comfort level with MIG.

As per usual the typical projects are endless for carts, benches and the like. My space is limited with a 2 stall garage devoted to the Camaro but in the time I own a welder that is likely to change. At the least I will add a stall, and if the market turns around I would buy or build a different home with a spacious shop + garage instead of making due as I have.

There is some temptation to get an HTP MIG160 but the additional investment is not that great compared to changing machines down the road, usually at a loss. Besides that, it goes against the Tim Taylor philosophy so many of us benefited from watching TOOL TIME. oh,Ho-OH!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 PM

HTP or Miller are the good choices IMO. Millers educational support and parts availability is more convenient. HTP is pretty much mail order and educational materials are basically worthless compared to Miller. That said it's just a MIG and you've got experience so the HTP price is the hook. I have no complaints with my HTP 200, I just make sure I have back stock on proprietary consumables.

Regarding the TIG vs. MIG debate...............the preparation and cleanliness required for TIG vs. the speed of MIG can make the decision easier when you just want to stick two pieces of metal together.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Thanks for your comments Sieg. As I mentioned earlier over at Norwoods' thread I've found your project inspirational on more than one occasion.

In fact, it was between you and GW that I probably learned of HTP in the first place. Somehow I sort of overlooked the MIG200 you had purchased, or rather forgot about it when the INVERTIG 221 took center stage.

While I think TIG would be cool, and I am already fairly meticulous prepping for welds I just don't see myself doing enough fabrication to warrant the purchase... besides the technique there seems to be more metallurgy involved in selection of expendables, then there is the tungsten maintenance. I just don't need to take that leap and a MIG is the right choice for me.

What sort of setup table does your HTP MIG200 have? I am used to a nice chart inside the wire compartment on a Miller 252. Would you be willing to post a picture of yours at all please?

Also, how do you like the heat setting adjustment being what appears to be a 2 switch analog arrangement?

Thanks once again,
Robert
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts68 View Post
What sort of setup table does your HTP MIG200 have? I am used to a nice chart inside the wire compartment on a Miller 252. Would you be willing to post a picture of yours at all please?

Also, how do you like the heat setting adjustment being what appears to be a 2 switch analog arrangement?

Thanks once again,
Robert

The 2-switch set-up is not as simple as my Lincoln 135+............basically it is 6 main power settings of which each can be fine tuned 4 levels. Wire feed is the critical/finicky setting with the machine. I'm running .023" wire for most applications.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks itsals1, appreciate your endorsement

So Sieg,
Thanks for posting the picture. Is that all they gave you is a piece of paper?

I appreciate you going through the trouble of posting that but perhaps I was unclear. I was wondering if the machine has a nice decal or chart inside of the door where you access the wire spool such as what I have seen on the Miller machines I have used. It seems like a trivial thing but you know how it is, paper get lost, tattered or dirty and in my experience is not fond of fire or melting metal

I found it difficult to find a picture of an HTP machine depicting the wire feed compartment in whole, lots of closeups of the gear drive and the transformer/electrical side but not what I wanted to see.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

If it's not BLUE it's not worth owning.....
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts68 View Post
Thanks itsals1, appreciate your endorsement

So Sieg,
Thanks for posting the picture. Is that all they gave you is a piece of paper?

I appreciate you going through the trouble of posting that but perhaps I was unclear. I was wondering if the machine has a nice decal or chart inside of the door where you access the wire spool such as what I have seen on the Miller machines I have used. It seems like a trivial thing but you know how it is, paper get lost, tattered or dirty and in my experience is not fond of fire or melting metal

I found it difficult to find a picture of an HTP machine depicting the wire feed compartment in whole, lots of closeups of the gear drive and the transformer/electrical side but not what I wanted to see.
Yes it has a decal on the inside of the door which requires opening the door to read. I copied a page from the manual for reference convenience. Paper in the form of *.pdf's is harder to lose, tatter, or dirty.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM

I've always preferred Lincoln welders. I just bought a used mig 255 off cl. The best price I've found for them was $3000 shipped online, I bought it for $1750. I also bought my Lincoln tig and plasma cutter off cl for less than 1/2 of new. All of these are barely used machines in great shape. I know you said you've been looking for a few months but good deals come up if you're not in a huge hurry and are willing to drive a little to get a deal.

I've never used a HTP so I can't say anything about the quality.

I do have a question that would be relevant to choosing if you plan to do a lot of sheet metal.

To those who do more welding than I do, do these bigger migs weld sheet metal well? I know they say they can, but when I took the chassis fab course at WyoTech the instructors there would always grab a smaller 110v mig when they wanted to weld something thin. They said even though the bigger machines could be turned down, it was easier to to weld thin metal with the smaller mig. I've always had access to a smaller mig so I've never tried welding sheet metal with a 220v mig. I have a Lincoln 140c that I've been using for sheet metal and just picked up the 255 dropped off yesterday and I'm not home to try it out.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Robert
I've had a HTP 160 for 6-8 years ,I really like this welder and am very happy with HTP, no problems. I do not use MIG every day! Only as needed for repair and small projects! Good luck with your choice.

Travis