Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 PM

Arrow Critique wanted on suspension package for 69 Camaro BBC

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out a suspension setup for my 69 Camaro that I am swapping in a BBC 489 into.

So far I have settled on this, but am certainly willing to listen to feedback:
Koni classic shocks front/rear
Moog front Springs (#5536 - 550lbs/rate, going to cut them as per David Pozzi's site)
Eaton Detroit multi-leaf rear springs (175lbs/rate)
Global West Rear Shackle kit with Del-A-Lum bushings (#108SH)
Hotchkis front and rear sway bars (#2207)
Hotchkis sub-frame connectors (#4007, still trying to figure out what body bushings)
Global West Upper Control Arms with Del-A-Lum bushings (#CTA-79A)
Global West Lower Lower Control Arms with Del-A-Lum bushings (#CTA-79L)
Baer Trackers
ATS AFX Tall Spindle
C5 Front Disc brake kit to go with the AFX Spindles and that will work with the stock 15x7 rally wheels (plan to go to a 17" wheels/tires just no budget for it right now).
Lee 670 Steering box (not exactly sure what ratio to go with)

I know there isn't much benefit on the lower arms but I am hoping it will help tighten up the handling a bit with the A-Lum bushings and stronger lower arms as well as giving me a bit more height control with the adjustable spring pocket.

What I want the car to do:
I am fine with a firm (not harsh ride). I certainly want to get rid of as much bump steer as I can. The car will be a driver, but I do want it to handle well as I think that is where much of the fun is. Any track usage the car would see would be very limited (2-3 times a year).

What I am still up in the air about is whether to use:
1. Body Bushings:
Global West Solid body bushings
or
Energy Suspension Poly body bushings
2. What steering box ratio to go with.

Also anyone know of any problems using the Hotchkis Sway bars with the Global West A-Arms? Or the GW body solid bushing kit with Hotchkis sub-frame connectors?

Any feedback/suggestions/comments are certainly appreciated. I am ready to pull the trigger and get most of this stuff (have the shocks, Coil springs, sway bars and rear leaf springs already).

Last edited by BBC69Camaro; 12-31-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:59 PM

i would look into sc&c for upper control arms they have great feedback around here and they always like to help
not sure on anything else listed but im sure someone else will have some input
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 AM

looks like a well thought out setup... i wouldnt run the Konis but go for a pair of eibachs instead.. they provide a little more refined ride when you cruise and work great when you beat on it... and secondly.. solid bushings only! if you are adding subframe connectors then why in the world would you want to introduce an element of flex where you have tried to elliminate it??..

and im not sure about the bear trackers... but ask tyler at ATS about the bumpsteer on the spindles before you add a fix that works on a stock spindle, but is detremental on the ATS one..

with regards to the brakes fitting in the stock wheels.. it seems like a really bad idea to mount smaller brales than stock c5 ones since you have the opportunity.. and you could run a set of cragar 17 inch steel wheels till you dug up the money to get the rimd you desire...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
they are 57 bucks each... much cheaper that first getting small brakes, then wheels... then big brakes... (always cheaper to do it right the first time!)

and id get a 12.7:1 steering ratio box.. no reason to get a well handling car with 4 turns lock to lock... and besides with the ATS spindles you have very little bumpsteer, and with the big caster they are designed to run. you dont need the leverage of a 20:1 box anyway..

Last edited by deuce_454; 01-13-2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM

DEFINATELY go with solid body bushings. Either, GW or DSE, IMHO.

I have the GW shackle and Del alum leaf bushing kit if interested.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas

Quick update:

I ended up going with the AFX Spindles and the GW uppers and lowers with QA1 double adjustable coil overs for a BB. Also went with the Baer trackers (according to Tyler they work great with the AFX spindle). Also got a 12.7:1 ATS Lee steering box and C5 front brake kit as well. Went with the solid body mounts from GW and the Shackle kit (sorry Rob07002 saw your post too late already pulled the trigger).

Deuce_454 your suggestion got me thinking, the SSBC kit that works with with AFX spindles is like $500 more than the C5 brake kit, doesn't come with the Master cylinder and since I need new front tires anyways, that total comes pretty close to the new front tires/wheels I wanted anyways, so new 17" wheels it is

Now since my motor produces sub-par vacuum I have been looking at a Hydro-boost system since I figure by the time I get a Power Booster, and either vacuum canister and/or a vacuum pump and am pretty close to the cost of a Hydro-boost system anyways (~400.00 vs ~$700.00).

I want to thank Tyler from ATS for answering so many of my questions on a couple of occasions and just being very helpful in general.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 AM

sounds like you are getting an absolutely awesome package.. (not unlike what i bought from ATS myself )

What about Swaybars?? are the hotchkiss ones still in tha equation??