Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Default Ridetech TruTurn on 69 Camaro

Has anyone installed the Ridetech TruTurn system on a '69 Camaro and used 275 front tires? If so, then how much surgery was required on the inner fender wells? What width wheels did you use? I need to order wheels this week and need to decide on wheel width. My choices are limited to 18x9 or 18x10 and I will be using 275/35/18 KDW's.

Gary
Old 12-14-2011, 07:04 AM

I have not installed one, BUT if I remember correctly Mark Stielow installed 265's on Camaro X long before the TruTurn was around. I think that the 69' model has a little more room front and rear than the 67' & 68' models.

Travis
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM

If you decided you want to try this syste, make sure you check for header clearance. With the raised inner tie rods, it hit my headers. I am running a small block with Hooker Super Comp headers on a 67 Camaro.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 PM

with a stock subframe there is no way you are fitting a 265 or 275 tire in there without giving up turning radius (tire hits the frame rail) or rubbing the fender lip.

Its not happening. if you want it to fit and function you better look at aftermarket subframes or widened fenders
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glr0212 View Post
with a stock subframe there is no way you are fitting a 265 or 275 tire in there without giving up turning radius (tire hits the frame rail) or rubbing the fender lip.

Its not happening. if you want it to fit and function you better look at aftermarket subframes or widened fenders
I have to respectfully disagree.

Our Tru Turn system consists of tubular StrongArm upper and lower control arms, our RideTech spindle [which is both taller than the oem unit and has a raised pin to lower the car], a different steering arm, and a special drag ling bracket to re-position the tie rods to optimize the steering geometry. Not only can you fit a 18x10 wheel with a 275mm front tire, but the camber curve, bumpsteer and caster alignment are also optimized.

If you use the 18x10 wheel you will need to use a 5.75 backspace. With that fitment [and the recommended alignment specs] the tire will contact the subframe just enough to possibly rub some paint off at full lock. IF you also incorporate shorter subframe/body bushings, you will also need to make MILD modifications to the outer portion of the inner fender for clearance.

IF you use stock height subframe bushings and/or put the 275 tire on a 18x9.5 wheel with a 5.5 backspace, no mods are needed to anything.

All of this is covered in the info and instructions http://www.ridetech.com/store/tru-turn/

We have a 67 and a 68 Camaro in our own stable to demonstrate this, and hundreds of additional customers who have successfully installed this package.

Yes, it's tight.
No, if you do not align the frontend, it may not fit [or perform as intended].
Yes, you must use the complete package, it MAY NOT fit or be compatible with other brand components. [other companies and customers have verified fitment and function with other brand components]
Yes, you should be aware of header fitment. Some of the older gen 1 small block header designs are troublesome. Most LS conversions are fine.
Air Ride Technologies, Inc.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Hope my car never finds this out!
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM

I got one in mine, but hasn't had a chance to align it or drive it more than twice. The drivers tire rubs the fender when turning hard. I had stock drum spindles and chopped springs before and it didn't rub. And I have a HUGE tire in front.... 17x7 wheel and 245/45.... Well, not big I mean! LoL! Not sure why its rubbing and really hope the alignment fixes it.
Any thoughts Brett?
www.fquick.com/shmoov69
Old 11-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:

10 inch rim! 275-40-17, stock subframe, Tru-turn, no loss of turning, second fastest car in Del Mar this weekend, you want to see my car turn the click this link
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

I don't know who gave you bad advice? but here's what you get with a tru turn, and a 10inch rim running 275 tires, BETTER turn in, NO bump steer, QUICKER reaction to inputs, IMPROVED camber change, these companies spend a lot of money figuring this **** out man, they don't just throw crap in a box and sell it

Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.

Last edited by Rod P; 11-26-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:

^

or unmodified inner fenderwells??? now tell the truth guys....I've seen them and I know what needs to be done.

You gotta do the work to get them there.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 11-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod P View Post

I don't know who gave you bad advice? but here's what you get with a tru turn, and a 10inch rim running 275 tires, BETTER turn in, NO bump steer, QUICKER reaction to inputs, IMPROVED camber change, these companies spend a lot of money figuring this **** out man, they don't just throw crap in a box and sell it

Not to be critical, because I love your car, but fitting big tires isn't just a matter of taking "bad advice"

Bret above:
Quote:
IF you use stock height subframe bushings and/or put the 275 tire on a 18x9.5 wheel with a 5.5 backspace, no mods are needed to anything
You in this thread: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...light=tru+turn

Quote:
I use 5.5" backspace on a 17x9.5 rim

You have the same picture of your car in the other thread, so which do you use 9.5" or 10" ? Lay a tape on it and take a picture so we are all sure.

The ridetech 48hr camaro does have substantially cut inner and outer fenders/fenderwells. Not enough to look abnormal, but you sure couldn't do it to a painted car, and of course the factory trim won't fit either. The bottom line is that the clearances are too close to make blanket generalizations unless you err on the conservative side. Also, some people have different definitions of what rubbing is, I believe it means taking the spring out and cycling the wheels side to side with the suspension BOTTOMED OUT. Some think if the tires only hit in extreme maneuvers all is fine, and that is ok, as long as everyone understands the situation. An extremely important factor is the camber that is aligned in. An autocross car that goes through a couple of sets of tires a season, isn't worried about -1.5 degrees or more negative camber, whereas a 100% street car isn't going to run near as much, and that extra camber from tilting the top of the tire in helps tremendously in letting the tire and the top of the fender get along.

As far as I know, there is no one who has tested and published all the variables vs what tire fits. Camber / tire size / wheel offset / ride height /17s & 18's / brake packages / steering & idler arms / headers / etc, etc. If ridetech sent me a truturn, and BFG sent me some Rivals, and Forgeline sent me some wheels in 1/8" different offsets, I would take a stab at it, but we know the likelihood of that is zero.

A search of tru-turn topics just makes things worse, because most responses don't offer enough details of a particular combo to draw concrete conclusions.