Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM

Default A body rear wheel well modification help!!!

So I own a 72 442 convert. Recently had body paint finished about 6 months ago they cut the outer rear wheel wells out due to rust and put new ones in that kind of overlap the old ones which is causing me to lose about a inch of wheel well space to the outside quarter. Can I cut a section out of the outside wheel well and reattach the outside lip to the wheel well with 3m epoxy bond and weld center top portion back or will I do damage to the quarter panel ie. Get wavy, sunk in, crack paint, flex paint, lose structural support etc. I need major help please thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
So I own a 72 442 convert. Recently had body paint finished about 6 months ago they cut the outer rear wheel wells out due to rust and put new ones in that kind of overlap the old ones which is causing me to lose about a inch of wheel well space to the outside quarter. Can I cut a section out of the outside wheel well and reattach the outside lip to the wheel well with 3m epoxy bond and weld center top portion back or will I do damage to the quarter panel ie. Get wavy, sunk in, crack paint, flex paint, lose structural support etc. I need major help please thanks.
In my opinion, although I'm not a body man, all that you have mention above is highly possible and very well likely to happen due to the amount and high degree of heat you are going to apply to the metal when you weld. If you don't want them to overlap then you will have to weld it at the seams and grind the seam down and then body work it again.