Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 AM

Default Rubbing issue with 20x8 255/35/20 rears

Hi all;

After getting my new acquisition, 69 Camaro, on the road I have noted that the tyre is rubbing on the inner wheel well when under side loading, specifically the inside rear wheel.

The rear set up consists of what I believe is a standard width diff, Wilwood rear disk brakes, AR Torq thrust 20x8 (zero offset) 4.5" back space with 255/35/20. The track measures up at approximately (tape measure) 61 inches. not sure if the disk brake change on the rear has changed the track width significantly?

There is no visible sign of rubbing on the tyre however, there is some "polishing"of the inner wheel well. It sounds more of a short squeak than a heavy impact or lock up.

A search on here has uncovered some standard cars running some serious
width rubber under the rear of 69's. Beside the fact that it rides like puss, I seriously want to reduce the wheel diameter down to at least 18" all round possibly 17",

Until I can decide what wheel I want, would the short term option be reducing the rear tyre to a 235/40/20, not ideal but should stop the rubbing?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 AM

Default wheel spacer

Could you add a 1/4" wheel spacer to move the tire/wheel toward the quarter? That would seem far cheaper and easier than buying new tires if its just a short term solution.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 AM

Default Rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by djorgensen3 View Post
Could you add a 1/4" wheel spacer to move the tire/wheel toward the quarter? That would seem far cheaper and easier than buying new tires if its just a short term solution.
The wheel needs to move inboard away from the guard, sorry should have been more clear.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Duster View Post
The wheel needs to move inboard away from the guard, sorry should have been more clear.
So it's rubbing on the quater/outer wheel house.

What bushings are in the leaf springs?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
So it's rubbing on the quater/outer wheel house.

What bushings are in the leaf springs?
Running fiberglass mono-leaf, everything other than the disk brakes appears stock. Had not thought of play in the bushes will check them out in the morning. Cheers
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 AM

I may get yelled at for this one, but do you have a rear sway bar on it? My 68' had 1 side rub when I hit dips in the road. I installed the rear sway and that eliminated the issue.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 AM

Default Offset maximum on 69 camaro

After a number of checks to the rear suspension I believe the rubbing issues are the Wilwood disk brakes. The rear track has been increased by one inch over stock to 61" and has resulted in the rubbing on the guard lip. I can get a wheel I like in 17 x 8 with an ET of +15mm which will allow me to tuck the wheel up in the rear (compensating for the increased track). The Same wheel on the front will result in a ~ 5" back space, the current 18x8 ET 0 (4.5" backspace) appears to have ample clearance all round. Is this acceptable on a 1969 camaro with Wilwood disks?

spacers are illegal in Australia so that is out of the question before it is offered up. I see a lot of camaros on here with massive wheel size and width just need to know if the back space mentioned is suitable

Cheers