Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 AM

Default Wheel offset for C Clip Eliminators

I have a 67 Camaro with the original 12 bolt and Strange C Clip eliminators pt# A1100. So to fit 17x9.5 inch wheels I'll need to figure out the offset. Does any one have any ideas? I want to fit a 275. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

67 Camaro
383/ 700r4

57 F100
289 / C4
Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 AM

I'm running 18 x 9.5 x 5.5" bs w/ 275/40 Nitto NT05's in the rear.

Inner and outer wheel well clearance is tight.

I have the C-clip eliminator kit installed.

The issue with c-clips isn't wheel fitment, they eliminate any "decent" rear disc brake option.

I'll be converting mine back to C-clips.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. I assume you didn't have any fitment issues? The brake situation just reared its head and I had to put a new set of drums on it. It's my wife's cruiser so I'm not too worried about the drums.

67 Camaro
383/ 700r4

57 F100
289 / C4
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
I'm running 18 x 9.5 x 5.5" bs w/ 275/40 Nitto NT05's in the rear.

Inner and outer wheel well clearance is tight.

I have the C-clip eliminator kit installed.

The issue with c-clips isn't wheel fitment, they eliminate any "decent" rear disc brake option.

I'll be converting mine back to C-clips.

Hey Sieg,

What specifically is the challenge with the c-clip eliminators that prevents someone from running good disc brakes?

I see that different kits are offered from Wilwood depending on the housing end, but I am having a hard time getting my head around why that is, other than maybe different hat depths.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:43 AM

The majority of these cars differ dimensionally for one reason or another so take fitment feedback accordingly. My inner rear wheel clearance is tight and I can get a little sidewall contact in faster undulating high speed corners. Leaf springs without allow some lateral movement. I've clearanced the contact points including new tail pipes and wouldn't say it's a safety issue, but on certain tracks it could be. Ideally mini tubs are the proper way to fit this size tire.

For the wife's cruiser you should be fine, but you'll need to watch it. Make sure the rear end is sitting square and centered in the spring and then test drive with a full tank and maybe a little weight in the trunk and pull the wheels and check for contact points.

Rear drum brakes are fine for street use they just don't dissipate heat well or look cool. If I had to do it all over I'd trade rear disc's for the C-clip set up. I've seen enough high horsepower cars utilizing none C-clip axles on track with no issues to support my opinion. I wouldn't cheap on the axles though.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post

Hey Sieg,

What specifically is the challenge with the c-clip eliminators that prevents someone from running good disc brakes?

I see that different kits are offered from Wilwood depending on the housing end, but I am having a hard time getting my head around why that is, other than maybe different hat depths.

The housing that retains the bearing interferes with the rear caliper mounting bracket. I did the conversion years ago and have Moser axles and eliminator kit.

Nothing a bucket of cash wouldn't properly fix. As in a Ford 9" with coil overs and all the other goodies.

The budget route is new axles....and since it's apart, 3:73 gears, and brakes.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Supporting Member

I put a set on a 12 bolt awhile back and had no issues with my caliper bracket. From what I remember, , my bracket mounted to the back of the flange, so the eliminator was a non issue
Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
I put a set on a 12 bolt awhile back and had no issues with my caliper bracket. From what I remember, , my bracket mounted to the back of the flange, so the eliminator was a non issue
In my situation the spacer would move the rotor too far out from the caliper, especially if the bracket was on the back of the flange.

67 Camaro
383/ 700r4

57 F100
289 / C4
Old 12-18-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
If I had to do it all over I'd trade rear disc's for the C-clip set up. I've seen enough high horsepower cars utilizing none C-clip axles on track with no issues to support my opinion. I wouldn't cheap on the axles though.
I've heard opinions that the c clip eliminator is a moot point with disc brakes anyway, because the disc brakes would supposedly hold the axles in the housing if they broke. I don't know if that's true, but I don't think our Camaro will be driven hard enough break axles any time soon anyway. If we do decide to start getting crazy with it, we'll put a 9" under it. Right now I just want to get it on the road so I can start a pro-touring build on my Mustang.

67 Camaro
383/ 700r4

57 F100
289 / C4