Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-24-2016, 03:14 PM

Default Engine mount question - symmetric?

Perhaps an odd question, but...

As far as I know, my LS engine (and the SBC previously) has the 2 engine mounts on the sides of the blocks at roughly the same distance from the front face of the block. Considering the transmission mount as the 3rd mount point, those 3 points should form a nice triangle (isosceles perhaps was the term from geometry oh so long ago).

I use adapter plates to move both mounts forward from the LS mounting points to fit my aftermarket subframe (as many of us do). Those plates would still keep the 3 mounting points in an isosceles relative location.

My question is: would it be ok for me to move one of the block mounts rearward relative to the other, thus changing the relationship of the 3 mount points? I'm looking to do that to add some clearance on the passenger side stand from the subframe up to where the engine mount is.

Given that most of the forces are rotational, I'm wondering if the 2 side mounts not being in the same plane would cause strange twisting forces that would hurt the drivetrain...

Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Perhaps an odd question, but...

As far as I know, my LS engine (and the SBC previously) has the 2 engine mounts on the sides of the blocks at roughly the same distance from the front face of the block. Considering the transmission mount as the 3rd mount point, those 3 points should form a nice triangle (isosceles perhaps was the term from geometry oh so long ago).

I use adapter plates to move both mounts forward from the LS mounting points to fit my aftermarket subframe (as many of us do). Those plates would still keep the 3 mounting points in an isosceles relative location.

My question is: would it be ok for me to move one of the block mounts rearward relative to the other, thus changing the relationship of the 3 mount points? I'm looking to do that to add some clearance on the passenger side stand from the subframe up to where the engine mount is.

Given that most of the forces are rotational, I'm wondering if the 2 side mounts not being in the same plane would cause strange twisting forces that would hurt the drivetrain...

Any thoughts?
I don't believe the engine cares where its being supported and if it will cause a rotational force issue. If anything maybe one mount may see a different amount of force due to a leveraging effect. not sure that would even be an issue. are you doing this for header clearance?

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 03-24-2016, 05:42 PM

No, as a matter of fact, doing this would require header modification. I'm considering this to make room for a dry sump pump. Right now, with the engine set back we have, there isn't much room from the front face of the engine backwards on the passenger side, and that's pretty much the only option for a dry sump pump. I would like to add a Dailey or ARE or other similar dry sump to the car, but right now, it's going to take work to make room. See this picture:

So I'd like to cut that stand off the subframe and move it backwards, then rename the mount place on the engine to move the mount rearward, allowing more clearance in that area for a pump...