Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-14-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD6SPD
Just go here and you can "build" one that you want, and they do list the options, I didn't see a lower spoiler on the sheet, so that may not be the case (I personally don't mind the larger one) and quite honestly, there are very few options at all, as it seems to come very well equipped.

Check it:

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/ss/

Good Luck...
the issue is all cars tested had what the reviewers referred to as a performance pakage that included a limited-slip diff and recaro seats. I don't care about the seats but the LSD is important to me. No dealer, no even chevy themselves can give me a straight answer on this let alone order it with the options I want. I've done alot of research and it's just been a PITA so far. I want the car, though, so as soon as I can order the SS with what I want, I'm there!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Default Optional....

Keith,

I emailed Mark, and his reply was that the LSD is an option on the "SS" package...The website appears to be less than informative.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:10 AM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 589 Posts

Here is another article on it. http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=184&n=157
Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

In fact it’s among the very best handling small cars out there with a firm ride and only moderate understeer at the car’s limits. And with the limited slip diff aboard, it pulls through corners with confidence and impeccable manners getting more from those Pirellis than a front-driver has any right getting. Much of the credit should go to GM suspension engineer Mark Stielow, who led much of the ride and handling development. For anyone who subscribes to Hot Rod, Car Craft or Popular Hot Rodding, the answer is, yes, that’s the same Mark Stielow who’s home-built, heavily modified, classic Camaros and Chevelles are renowned as among the best hot rods ever built.

That's pretty cool that they actually give Mark credit right in the article. Hmmm, I don't recall Trush getting any press on the transmission performance of the Impalas.... Seriously though, I just talked to Jeff on the phone last night about the Cobalt SS, and one thing I mentioned was that I wish the wheels had a slight dish to them, something along the lines of a BMW wheel. I know that a wide track is important in suspension design and geometry, but from a styling point of view, I just like that look.

My LS7 69 Camaro

Last edited by XcYZ; 01-14-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Wink

That was a cheap shot! Yeah well....It does have the worlds best JD Power IPTV rating ...I am a nobody, so I have to toot my own horn
Old 01-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Nobody?! I seem to remember 7 pages in Car Craft along with the cover.

The Cobalt looks pretty cool in this shot:

My LS7 69 Camaro

Last edited by XcYZ; 01-14-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 PM

I see, Stielow's name gets mentioned on the car and everyone thinks it's cool all of a sudden. haha j/k

Speak of the devil, i just got word from gm that the "performance pakage" was an early thought but now the LSD does, in fact, come standard on the SS (like Mark said) so we are in biz...I'll let you guys know when it comes in. I still hate the rear wing but that's easy to fix. I think this will be great as a daily driver even though my g/f's new 05 GT will still spank me when it come's in (ordered it a week ago).

Jeff, thank you for emailing Mark....Just how involved was he on this car? and yeah, Gm's website is pretty diluted, not much info there. I'm excited, though, because I know the aftermarket will cater well to this car and the motor is pretty well built to handle a lot more than it already gives. There's already a co. making a turbo kit that'll feed the M62 supercharger making well over 400HP! So it'll be fun...

Old 01-14-2005, 03:34 PM

It does have that Holden look to it (GTO).