Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Supporting Member

If factory control arms are ok, just look for some different used ones. With everyone ditching them for tubular, they should come pretty cheap.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwests View Post
I have had this camaro for about 12 years and these are the arms that was on it. By all looks they are 69 camaro arms, they have been on a driveable car. They(new ball joint) appear to fit in the spindle as they should and in the control arm hole. I don't have the old ones they got thrown away by mistake so no comparisons. Makes me wonder now whats up since you guys are not ever hearing of this. What could be the deal. I will try to get some pics of the arms on here for you guys to look at. Thanks for all the input.
How did you remove the old ball joint?
After time and several ball joint removals the ball joint hole in the arm can get deformed. MOOG makes a larger size problem solver joint to help this. Lower section is knurled to make up the slack.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Default Same problem

I have the same problem.

I just slid a 69 camaro sub frame from a second owner wreck under my 67 firebird. When I went to rebuild the front end...the ball joints didn't fit. Pitman arm, Idler arm inner and outer tie rods all worked with 67-69 parts but the ball joints were 70.weird indeed.
I picked up some upper and lower A arms today at the Monroe swap meet and will rebuild and install them to keep things kosher.
I did install the 70 ball joints upper and lower. The only thing I had to do was use a thicker washer under the castle nut as the nut when tightened bottomed out on the threads. No driving issues and my shimmies are gone but I want the right parts under my Firebird.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 PM

A 70 ball joint has a different taper into the spindle, no safe way to interchange them unless the spindle is reamed to match. It's hard to believe GM did this.

Last edited by David Pozzi; 10-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomchivok View Post
I have the same problem.

I just slid a 69 camaro sub frame from a second owner wreck under my 67 firebird. When I went to rebuild the front end...the ball joints didn't fit. Pitman arm, Idler arm inner and outer tie rods all worked with 67-69 parts but the ball joints were 70.weird indeed.
I picked up some upper and lower A arms today at the Monroe swap meet and will rebuild and install them to keep things kosher.
I did install the 70 ball joints upper and lower. The only thing I had to do was use a thicker washer under the castle nut as the nut when tightened bottomed out on the threads. No driving issues and my shimmies are gone but I want the right parts under my Firebird.
Question: were your calipers on the front side of the wheel as opposed to normal behind the wheel. Yes someone finally with the same prob. Thanks for that post. My problem is now solved as I now have C5 brake setup and correct 69 spindles, control arms, and steering arms going in now. Thanks to all for the posts. Don't know if GM did it my guess is someone else with some ingenuity wanting disc's made it happen although probably not the correct way. Interesting nonetheless!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 PM

No calipers its drum brakes and rear steering linkage. I ended up yanking the existing upper and lower A arms off and putting back the "correct" ones that take a standard ball joint. I also notice the upper A arm rods on the bastard set have nuts to retain the bushings and the "correct ones have bolts...very strange!