Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 PM

Default Tire Life.. Old tires Low miles

I have had my Nitto Invos on my car for 7 years and I'm finally starting to drive the car. I have only put about 500 miles on them and I had a blowout yesterday. I think the tire was low causing the blowout.

The tires look good, no dry rot, seem soft and sticky...

My question.... Are these low mile tires too old? I will compare with the new tire when I get it mounted. Thoughts???
Attached Images

1969 Camaro LS7
2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan
Old 04-24-2016, 09:00 PM

The age of the tire had nothing to do with this, in my opinion. 7 year old tires are not that old, as far as driving goes. They most certainly have lost their competitive edge due to age, but should not have done this.
Are you sure your pressures were correct? It looks as though you had a sidewall blow out due to rubbing. I had a car do this once because I was running way too low a pressure, and my sidewall actually was rubbing on the pavement a little.
I just bought a set of Falkens from a leading supplier, and my fronts are 3 years old. Rears are 8 months old.

Edit...I just re-read your post and you are thinking it might have been low pressure...
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!

Last edited by Che70velle; 04-24-2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: I misread info originally, and I'm retarted...
Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM

This particular tire always looked low compared to the others. The last time I checked it, because it looked low, was about a month ago and it was at 30.

The day of the blowout, I was washing the car and I planned on checking the pressure but I forgot. The car seemed to be fine for 20 miles then all of a sudden it felt like a flat, 15 seconds later it was obvious form the noise, smoke and vibration..

Another thought is that these wheels have two valve stems(one in middle and one on the edge 180 degrees apart. I'm thinking it was low and the stem in the middle, valve in the tire, popped off from hitting causing deflation...
1969 Camaro LS7
2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan

Last edited by Project_Gotham; 04-24-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:07 AM

Yeah, I was wondering if I should buy all new tires or just the one. I would hate to waste these new/old tires and the money for new ones. I'm going to just replace the blown one and hope the rest will be ok. Just wanted to get peoples opinion.

I read that manufactures recommend not to exceed 6 years.
1969 Camaro LS7
2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan
Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
I just bought a set of Falkens from a leading supplier, and my fronts are 3 years old. Rears are 8 months old.
And you are accepting the 3 year old fronts? I don't think I would.

As of 2015 the USCA event rules would not let you run (without a specific exception) with tires older than 3 years.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 04-25-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
And you are accepting the 3 year old fronts? I don't think I would.

As of 2015 the USCA event rules would not let you run (without a specific exception) with tires older than 3 years.
Yeah, I accepted them. Had I built a track car that would get ran often, it would be different, but it's a cruiser....for now. When track time comes, I'll use different wheel/tire combo.
Not sure however, about making sure tires that get ordered, are fresh. How do you police this? Can you specifically ask for date codes from them? This was THE premier tire buying business, that most people buy from. Maybe we should start a new thread concerning this?
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Yeah, I accepted them. Had I built a track car that would get ran often, it would be different, but it's a cruiser....for now. When track time comes, I'll use different wheel/tire combo.
Not sure however, about making sure tires that get ordered, are fresh. How do you police this? Can you specifically ask for date codes from them? This was THE premier tire buying business, that most people buy from. Maybe we should start a new thread concerning this?
Was this a strange tire size or model or something? I just can't believe a 3 year old tire would not have moved out of inventory into a buyer's lap before then. The premier tire business you'd think would move their stuff quicker. Maybe it just got lost and was sitting in the back janitors closet for a few years.

On my most recent set of tires I ordered I did specifically ask for a newer DOM since I knew I would not be using them soon.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Was this a strange tire size or model or something? I just can't believe a 3 year old tire would not have moved out of inventory into a buyer's lap before then. The premier tire business you'd think would move their stuff quicker. Maybe it just got lost and was sitting in the back janitors closet for a few years.

On my most recent set of tires I ordered I did specifically ask for a newer DOM since I knew I would not be using them soon.
Yes, Falken 245/40/17... Who runs 17's? Hahaha...

Thanks Dad!!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 PM

Thanked 1,635 Times in 583 Posts

My SL65 AMG Mercedes had Pirellis' that cracked and blew out. Cracked all around the sidewall. Even had a spare set on rims stored in the shop and they cracked after a few years. I would replace all of them.