...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-2021, 09:20 PM
NOVA NOVA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 413
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Question Smoother Highway Ride for Coilover Conversion

I have the Ridetech Coilover Conversion W/HQ Shocks,W/Truturn on A 72 Nova, its all original Ridetech components/shocks etc. that came with the Kit, nothing has been changed, I have tried some adjusting on the shocks, it does not seem to really do that much, kit has been on the car for about 3 years now, I think it is the latest/current generation, but not positive on that.

I do notice when I push down on the rear bumper for example there is very little give, very little travel ?
I am wanting a smoother Highway / Cruise ride, one thought I had was maybe a different (lighter?) spring rating OR is it shocks ?

I know there is a ton of knowledge here for some positive feedback, just looking for a few possible suggestions to accomplish a smoother highway / cruising ride for my Coilover set up.
I did do a search and found one link but it was from 2013, maybe there is some newer more current info on this subject.

Thank you
__________________
Forgelines - Ridetech - DSE Tubs - ZZ4/700R

Last edited by NOVA; 06-05-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-07-2021, 06:47 AM
dhutton dhutton is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mountain Springs, Texas
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 753
Thanked 281 Times in 175 Posts
Default

First thing to do is make sure your shocks are roughly centered in their travel at ride height. Is your car super low? Post up a pic of your ride height and maybe pics of your shocks at ride height if you can.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2021, 06:50 PM
NOVA NOVA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 413
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
First thing to do is make sure your shocks are roughly centered in their travel at ride height. Is your car super low? Post up a pic of your ride height and maybe pics of your shocks at ride height if you can.

Don
Yes it sits low, I would say not super low, happy with the ride height, I have no pics at the moment, I'll need to look at the shock positioning, Thanks for the reply / suggestions.
This pic is on the Ridetech site and for comparison wise this is pretty close to my height https://www.ridetech.com/product/coi...968-1972-nova/
__________________
Forgelines - Ridetech - DSE Tubs - ZZ4/700R

Last edited by NOVA; 03-07-2021 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added pic / link
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2021, 04:27 PM
CraigS CraigS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

As dhutton said checking how much travel you have is step #1. I like to have a little more travel in compression than extension if I can. If that is OK, then it's on to shocks or springs. You need to figure out exactly what springs and shocks you have so people w/ similar car and suspension can compare yours to theirs. SHocks adjustable?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-2021, 06:29 PM
NOVA NOVA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 413
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
SHocks adjustable?
Thanks, yes they are adjustable & set at 6
__________________
Forgelines - Ridetech - DSE Tubs - ZZ4/700R
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2021, 06:32 PM
NOVA NOVA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 413
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
First thing to do is make sure your shocks are roughly centered in their travel at ride height..

Don
I was able to look and they are centered, thanks
__________________
Forgelines - Ridetech - DSE Tubs - ZZ4/700R
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2021, 07:19 PM
dhutton dhutton is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mountain Springs, Texas
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 753
Thanked 281 Times in 175 Posts
Default

You could go lighter springs but then you have to run higher preload to maintain your ride height. I find that a lot of preload can lead to poor ride quality.

The reason shock adjustment doesn’t do a whole lot is because it’s rebound only. According to Ridetech the spring rate is so high that adjusting the compression damping has very little affect because the spring rate dominates. So they don’t offer compression damping adjustment which is difficult with a monotube shock anyway….

I put the whole Ridetech level 2 package with Truturn on my wife’s 69 Camaro. Hated the ride, it was harsh. Sold the car because of it.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 06-03-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2021, 12:51 PM
NOVA NOVA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 413
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
You could go lighter springs but then you have to run higher preload to maintain your ride height. I find that a lot of preload can lead to poor ride quality.

The reason shock adjustment doesn’t do a whole lot is because it’s rebound only. According to Ridetech the spring rate is so high that adjusting the compression damping has very little affect because the spring rate dominates. So they don’t offer compression damping adjustment which is difficult with a monotube shock anyway….

I put the whole Ridetech level 2 package with Truturn on my wife’s 69 Camaro. Hated the ride, it was harsh. Sold the car because of it.

Don
I would agree with both adjustment & ride.
honestly, I cannot tell much difference turning the knobs one way or another, not really much there for adjustment wise to really make a significant difference, and the ride, not what I was thinking I would have as far as comfort, also agree about changing springs, I do not feel it would be worth it and do not think it would really change it that much to make a big enough difference in my case.

Now, it did lower it and it does handle like a slot car (I feel) but I do no course racing, it really is just a driver, but it does handle for sure.
Thanks
__________________
Forgelines - Ridetech - DSE Tubs - ZZ4/700R
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2021, 07:14 PM
dhutton dhutton is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mountain Springs, Texas
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 753
Thanked 281 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
I would agree with both adjustment & ride.
honestly, I cannot tell much difference turning the knobs one way or another, not really much there for adjustment wise to really make a significant difference, and the ride, not what I was thinking I would have as far as comfort, also agree about changing springs, I do not feel it would be worth it and do not think it would really change it that much to make a big enough difference in my case.

Now, it did lower it and it does handle like a slot car (I feel) but I do no course racing, it really is just a driver, but it does handle for sure.
Thanks
Yes it did handle well. But any discontinuity in the pavement was jarring.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2021, 09:03 PM
SSLance's Avatar
SSLance SSLance is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,657
Thanks: 72
Thanked 314 Times in 202 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
I have the Ridetech Coilover Conversion W/TQ Shocks,W/Truturn on A 72 Nova, its all original Ridetech components/shocks etc. that came with the Kit, nothing has been changed, I have tried some adjusting on the shocks, it does not seem to really do that much, kit has been on the car for about 3 years now, I think it is the latest/current generation, but not positive on that.
You say above you have TQ shocks but mention rebound valving only later. Do you have remote reservoirs on the shocks and if so, the 2 knobs on them adjust compression valving which can really affect ride quality.
__________________
Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net