Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Question Global West L2R2 Leaf Springs

Okay, so maybe my search-fu is lacking but I have not been able to find info on these springs. I have however been able to annoy the search button to the point where it scolded me on a few occasions.

In any case, does anybody have an opinion or experience with these leaf springs in a first gen F Body? I would like to see pictures or hear of any experiences before I make a decision.

They advertise a 2" drop and utilize a reverse eye to maintain a little more arch while doing so from what I gather.

I would be going with Global Wests mono-multi conversion and delrin rear shackle kit at the same time.

Thanks for reading. All comments considered.
Robert
Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

I've had my L2's for 12 years now. I had Doug de-arch them another inch. I have no complaints so far but I think they have an L3 now that you might want to do some research on. Give them a call and let me know what you find out.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:12 PM

I initially inquired about 3" drop when I spoke with Paul on 3/16/12 and he said they do not. Maybe in the CAT5?
I asked again when I spoke to him last week with debit card in hand. Shipping was a total buzz kill so I may order through Summit instead of direct. We were both dissapointed by the shipping especially since I just checked on shipping springs from MN to IN and it was half of what Paul discovered.

Thanks for chiming in, I have read some of your posts... lots of good info and your approach to no nonsense results mixed with budget awareness sounds like a good endorsement from where I am.

Are yours a reverse eye as well? Do you know how they are rated? I was asked by a friend and I either missed it or didn't ask.

Most of my www time is on my phone and it does not play nice on Global Wests website with all the dropdown menus. Besides that I welcome advice from you guys that have been using this stuff while I have been reading and daydreaming about it.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 PM

The 3" arch was a special request. They dont sell them that way. I dont remember my eyelets being reversed....I'd have to look to be 100% sure.

They are rated at 175. I ran Hotchkis before I bought the GW's and I was really loose with them.....probably because they are a higher rating....225 I believe.....so I sold them and got the GW's.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM

If you get a chance to spy your leaf eyes I'd be curious.

Even if it was just from perusing all your pictures, I'd be grateful.

I really need to log some facetime at a real computer and read threads like yours and Sieg's "Norwood" threads start to finish. Lots of great info shared here.

Not that I have the personal knowledge to dispute the spring rates you mentioned but this is a quote from correspondence I had with David Pozzi in '08 "The Hotchkis leafs are good, and I recommend them often, but they are 175 lbs and stiffer than the stock 125 lb multi leaf springs."

Last edited by Roberts68; 04-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM

DSE has 175 lb. leafs in 2" or 3" drop. I'm thinking my GW springs were in the 225 lb. range. I would rate them as street rough and track comfy. GW conveniently doesn't list rates.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
GW conveniently doesn't list rates.
Ding, ding, ding! Appropriate smiley of the day award right there!

My friend had 3" drop DSE in his 69 Bird and it looked good, road good and handled well. I guess I am just a little hung up on armchair quarterbacking the flatter spring versus the reverse eye maintaining some arch.

It was so much easier to build a wish list in 96 when selection was more limited. It seemed like there was only 3 or 4 choices and Poly bushings were the new-fangled thang!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
DSE has 175 lb. leafs in 2" or 3" drop. I'm thinking my GW springs were in the 225 lb. range. I would rate them as street rough and track comfy. GW conveniently doesn't list rates.
Thanks Sieg......thought I heard Pozzi say it the other way around.
I've had the GW springs on there for so long and once something works for me I tend to forget about it.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts68 View Post
Ding, ding, ding! Appropriate smiley of the day award right there!

My friend had 3" drop DSE in his 69 Bird and it looked good, road good and handled well. I guess I am just a little hung up on armchair quarterbacking the flatter spring versus the reverse eye maintaining some arch.

It was so much easier to build a wish list in 96 when selection was more limited. It seemed like there was only 3 or 4 choices and Poly bushings were the new-fangled thang!
One thing I'll say for DSE is Kyle doesn't screw around, he delivers quality tested products first, support second, and price last. All said and done that's what true enthusiast want. I thought those springs were very inexpensive compared to my typical DSE first impression.

Very seldom are you disappointed when you buy the best from the best. Companies that are founded on marketing are excluded from that statement.

I don't mind giving a few extra dollars to a company that reinvests it in R&D, testing, and competing. In my book that is earning and deserving additional margin.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM

I just want to comment that I have no quarrel with DSE Parts. I was poking fun at my indecision and trying to digest all the data that is out there without trial and error.

There are those that caution me that a 3" spring may be too low leaving me with no place to stick a "bandaid". I have also heard that a 3" drop spring gets pretty flat in application and can lose effectiveness along with it's arch. It is hard to filter useful knowledge from competitor bashing when consulting manufacturers/vendors as everybody has their opinions and promotes their own products or favorites.

You guys running GW or even switching to it is a pretty great endorsement because as you have said when it works you just forget it and move on to other areas.

That '69 'Bird is sort of my benchmark and if... I mean when I hit that level of performance I will be pretty proud. I am doing a few things differently but when it works it works.

Maybe I will consult DSE about their 3" drop before I spend.