Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2006, 12:18 AM

Thanked 1,646 Times in 587 Posts
Default My 2 cents on the new Camaro...gotta say it

My thoughts on the new Camaro concept.

I was lucky enough to be one of the 250 to be invited by Scott Settlemire to see the new Camaro concept debut at the Detroit auto show. The whole weekend was a treat and I really want to thank Scott and the folks at Chevrolet for doing what they did. The night before the auto show we had a gathering at the GM Heritage center and most of the team that put the new Camaro together was there. They said they would listen to our comments and wanted to hear them so here I am.
While the new Camaro is neat and I think neater than the 4th gen it replaced, it is not what I was hoping for. I can remember talking with friends years ago about how cool it would be and how many cars Chevy would sell if they made the 69 Camaro again. We knew it was pipe dreaming but it sure was neat to think about. I never expected it to happen. Then comes along the new Mustang and it looks very much like a 67 Mustang. Then there are rumors of a retro Camaro and I'm pumped. Then there is a retro Hemi Challenger and it appears we are back in our youth. This is getting exciting. I will buy a new 69 Camaro. I'll buy 2 ! How many people are out there that would jump at the chance to buy a new 69 Camaro ? How many out there that like the old 69 Camaro's but don't buy one because they can't work on cars and old cars need to be worked on ? Would they buy a 69 Camaro with a warranty ? With the other makes doing the retro theme this is the perfect time and probably our only chance to do a 69 type Camaro. The market is there. There is worry that retro is not long legged enough to pencil out for the bean counters. The 69 Camaro is over 35 years old and the design still looks great. A new version of it can look just as great. I'm 52 years old and I want one. I have met many younger than me that also love the looks of a 69 Camaro. It's like we are invited to a retro party with Ford and Chrysler but have decided not to come. I know the retro T-bird didn't do well but guys like me were about 4 years old when they first came out. The guy that missed out on buying a 57 T-bird back in 57 is now probably close to 70 years old so I wouldn't expect him to buy too many cars of his youth. I missed the chance to buy a Camaro in 69 and would sure like another chance .I don't think there will ever be another chance like right now to capture the audience that is out there waiting You have a chance to capture the youth market and the baby boomers at the same time. Maybe I'm just in the minority and don't know it. GM really does want and need to know what the public will buy so they can decide on what to build. You may or may not agree with me on wanting the new Camaro to look more retro like a 69. Whatever it is you prefer please let Chevrolet know. If you don't voice your opinion don't bitch later on if they didn't do what you wanted.
-Charley
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 AM

I totally agree with you Mr. Lillard. I love the concept of a retro 69' Camaro and the timing is perfect. But I was disappointed, especially when I saw the rear tail lights, what were they thinking?! A lot of 69' features are missing. What happened to the wheel well flares,rear spoiler, tail lights, ext...? I remember thinking the other night which NEW GM product I would buy, sports car wise. The only vehicle that came to mind was a C6 but you cant even touch one unless you pay 5-10k over MSRP. Look at the new C6 ZO6 10-20k over MSRP. I'm not ready to pay nor many others $85,000+ for a new Vette. I'm positive if GM gets smart and designs it to look like the most desirable Camaro ever(69), and price it right to make it available to the people it was meant for, the average working Joe, they would make a KILLING! They're close to a great looking 69 retro Camaro but it lacks the important detail. I think the interior is AWESOME, I love the gauges in the cousole. Maybe the body design guy's need to get with the interior guys and get their opinion on DETAIL.
I'm a total Chevy guy but after seeing the challenger.......... I pray that Chevrolet steers me away from Mopar!

I remember seeing another rendering of the Camaro and I loved it! All it needed was the 69 signature rear Quater Panel gills/fins and 2 fog lights on the bottom front valence by the licence plate. When I find it I will add it to this post.
-Marcus-
Attached Images

1969 Camaro LS7
2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan

Last edited by Project_Gotham; 01-12-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 AM

i think the new camaro is amazing and a really nice car but........ take off the scoops and vents and make it a caddy xlr or something. i wish they would of either gone retro or turned the page. i mean the 2nd gen had no real style cues from the first and so on. i mean if retro is in, then apply it. i wish they would of put on thier thinking caps and made a new design. oh well, im no GM tech.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Supporting Member

I think they gave us the best of both worlds - a forward thinking design with design elements that harken back to the '69. I don't want them to re-make the '69, I want to move on and have somewhere new to take the design. I'm glad to be free of the 3rd/4th gen look. I hope they build this car as I'm in...

camarorestoration.com
Old 01-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

i posted this over at pro-touring also.

Charley, I agree with you fully on that, I have been saying it even before he leaked photos, it needs to be a 69 retro design.
As far as having no where to go with the design to build from. I'm not buying it, come on the 1969 camaro was a 1 year only style. If
they built a more retro style in line with the Mustang and Challenger they can leave it alone for over 5 years, then change the bumpers and headlight and tail light treatments and get another 5 years. look at the 3rd gen 1982 to 1992, 4th gen 1993-1997 change the headlight and front bumper 1998-2002.
I agree that this is the time to make a retro looking camaro let it run its 10 year span, then come out with something different like the latest concept. Everything has a way of evolving there are plenty of ways to build on a retro design.
Whats going to happen when Dodge make the Challenger and the sales of the Mustang & Challenger beat the Camaro sales, Are they going to kill the Camaro again?

I think that GM needs to keep the edge styling to Cadillac and not let it influence other divisions.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss
i posted this over at pro-touring also.

Whats going to happen when Dodge make the Challenger and the sales of the Mustang & Challenger beat the Camaro sales, Are they going to kill the Camaro again?

I think that GM needs to keep the edge styling to Cadillac and not let it influence other divisions.
I predict the opposite. The retro game is appreciated by the media (car mags), gear heads and older guys like us because we love the old cars. If you want an old musclecar - go buy one! They're all over the place out there. GM can't sell enough 'retro' Camaros to warrant continued production. They also need to be able to attract younger buyers, male and female, or the Camaro will disappear once again. How many of those Foosed-out 40 year old Challengers do you think they can sell once the old gearheads all have one? It'll die like the Prowler and the PT Cruiser because the design gets old real fast and people lose interest. You have to remember that we aren't the only ones GM is marketing this car to. There aren't enough of us. The fourth gen we all loved so much wasn't retro. We loved it because it was great looking and performed beyond our expectations. That's all I want out of the fifth generation.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Nothing wrong with Retro!

I agree with Charley and many of the other comments as well.
The front end and back end of that car is Fugly..
The interior on the other hand from what I have seen is very cool..
Before I bought my 65 Mustang Fastback I was on a mission to buy a 69 Camaro. I just could not find the right one. This is coming from a Ford guy that has owned many Mustangs over the years.
The styling cues of the 69 Camaro are so popular and in demand that Dynacorn took it upon itself to produce and sell "new" 1969 convertible body shells. I am sure that the coupes will be available soon as well.
Why do retro cars sell? I believe that it is because many of us want the old school look (that we dreamed of owning back in the day) with modern
performance,conveniences and reliability. HEY that sounds like the same reason many of us build our Pro Touring/G machines
Scott
G Force Design Concepts #004
Pro Touring 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback
FRPP 347c.i./450hp
SSBC 4WDB,Budnik M5's
G Force T5 etc..
FOR SALE
Old 01-12-2006, 09:24 AM

I think the 5th gen is a great style. It looks and feels very much like the 69 of old. I personaly would like to see the doors come down a little more like they used to, This way you dont have to stretch your foot so far to get over the rocker pabel. The tail lights should be like one unit instead of 2 just like in 69 with some form of chrome triming. I know a few people have questioned the front end being to pointy and they would like to see it more blunt. I dont mind it either way it was probably done like that to give it more Aero Dynamics and cut through the wind better. One more thing, the car does look a little chop toped which is cool but my sister has a 05 Hemi Charger and the windows on that thing are small and difficult for viewing. This might seem like a lot of things but dont mind me I am just a consumer.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Personally, I love it, although as I've pointed out in the other thread, I'm concerned how the styling will look with real world sized wheels and tires.

If you go over to CZ28.com, you'll see that most of the younger crowd (under 30 I'd say) think it's far too retro. Over at Camaros.net, they don't think it's retro enough.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM

I have 2 69 camaros and love 'em both. Chevrolet is heading in the right direction. But remember that heading North means also going a whole lot of East and West. I think GM realizes it need to hit a Grandslam with this one and right now its an in the park Homerun. I will own one of the retro Challengers if built. I'd love to buy a Mustang but I will wait on my first Love to make its decision. It definately needs more 69 Camaro influence than it has now. Its a homologation of all the first gens. The 69 is the one every body is hollering for. To use NIKE "Just do it".

Good topic Charley. Thanks for your input and sharing your trip YOU LUCKY BASTARD.