Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Supporting Member

Default 0-100-0

I think Scott made a post awhile back about the current record for a street car to do 0-100-0. If I remember right, it was an Ultima GTR's, and the time was right around 10 seconds flat.

Reason I ask, is I was just reading a magazine about a Cuda being build to try to break this record. Car has a 800+hp Indy Hemi, and is being build by Johnshons Rod Shop.

Good luck to those guys, but that mid engine, lightweight Ultima is going to be hard to beat.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Default Car

It would be cool to watch the Cuda try and do that but unless it's EXTREMELY modified, it don't stand a chance.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Here's the article, Mark:

The Ultima Factory yesterday smashed the production car world record in an Ultima GTR for sprinting to 100mph and back to zero again beating times set by all manner of supercars.

Driven by Ultima Director, Richard Marlow, the factory built Ultima GTR set a new world record time of 10.3 seconds to achieve 0-100mph-0 smashing the previous record by half a second. The British built super car stormed from 0-60mph in 2.8 secs and reached 100mph from standstill in an incredible 5.9 secs before coming back to rest a mere 4.4 secs later.

All of the times were set by a standard, factory built, fully road legal, road tyred Ultima GTR built using all of the high spec factory specified and proven parts. The car was even equipped with a few luxuries such as air conditioning but no traction control devices; launch control systems or ABS braking aids were used.

The car was fitted with its recommended Porsche G50 5 speed transaxle and normally aspirated 640BHP 377ci Chevrolet V8 engine which is a standard offering by the factory from its official engine suppliers American Speed.

Ultima are particularly proud that their record time beat the legendary £630,000 McLaren F1 road car by well over a full second at less than one tenth of the cost!

Richard Marlow, Director of Ultima Sports Ltd said “The 0-100mph-0 test is believed by many to be the ultimate test for any car and is a true indicator of a cars all round performance ability. We haven’t strapped any timing gear onto one of our cars for a few years now and decided that the time was right to demonstrate to everybody how we have been successfully developing our product over the years and gained a world record in the process."

Bouyed by his success, Richard continued, "We also wanted to go on to measure the 0-200mph-0 time at the relatively short Bruntingthorpe runway on the same day however severe rain and thunderstorms curtailed this for now but it didn’t stop Ted from achieving a rather interesting 192mph pass in the wet on standing water with over 1500rpm still available!”

The test was conducted, overseen and verified by an official from Datron Technology and the latest state of the art GPS timing gear was utilised to achieve and ensure maximum accuracy.
A submission has been made to Guinness Book of Records.

Videos of the record breaking run can be downloaded from PistonHeads.TV:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 03-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that, I was hoping you would.

Those are awesome numbers. Looking forward to see how close that Cuda gets.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams
It would be cool to watch the Cuda try and do that but unless it's EXTREMELY modified, it don't stand a chance.
It is EXTREMELY MODIFIED. It has a wedge shape to it. There is a pic of it in the PHR with the Gold Charger on the front cover. It is INSANE!

Mike
Old 03-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Yeah. It looks sick. And Alan Johnson is by far my favorite rod builder.

Looks like the chassis is stretched to place engine entirely behind front axle centerline (a la McLaren-Mercedes). Also has a getrag transaxle so weight distribution has obviously been considered.

Should be fun.

Ridetech.com
Old 03-22-2005, 10:58 PM

Thanked 1,644 Times in 586 Posts

Bob Johnson, the owner of the Cuda that Alan is building told me the magazine made up the trash talking.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill
Bob Johnson, the owner of the Cuda that Alan is building told me the magazine made up the trash talking.
So they're not really after the 0-100-0 record?

I was just reading the latest Summit book, it states that AWD 600hp '32 Roadster (I forgot the name) "only" did 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, and it was the quickest car Car and Driver ever tested. So that Ultima is really cooking at 2.8, .
Old 03-23-2005, 06:56 PM

It would be interesting to see how Lingenfelter's twin turbo corvette would do in this test. If i remember correctly it acheived 60mph in 1.97 seconds, and was eventually tuned to do the 1/4 in 8.9 seconds. This is all street legal too. I have video if someone wants to host them i can send them.

Anthony
(new member, found you guys through Chevelle forums, and love the cars i see so far)
Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome, Anthony, glad you like what you've seen so far.

I'll host the video if you can get it to me.

My LS7 69 Camaro