Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-23-2023, 10:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Default Is anyone interested in the ZF 8HP transmissions?

In the last couple of years I have been reading up on various modern transmissions swaps, like the dual clutch ZF transmissions as well as the ZF 8HP70/90 range.

Is anyone interested in the 8HP swap?

After LS Fest my buddies Tom and Brian drank the ZF 8HP KoolAid with me. Tom found a smoking deal on 3 take out 8HP70 transmission and he is starting to dig into them in preparation for doing the needed modifications to use the TurboLamik TCU.

These transmissions are simultaneously complex yet simple. Here is the main case after the valve body has been removed.

This is the valve body with a total of 9 solenoids.

This is the part that needs to be modified.

The shiny plate is the OEM TCU cover. That cover gets cut off and a PCB board gets soldered in place that allows the use of an externally mounted TCU.

I would be interested in hearing from people that are interested in this swap, especially with Holley EFI.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (10-23-2023), srode1 (11-03-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 11:35 PM

Today I got the images that compare a T56 with the Dodge 8HP70. This was a collaborative effort between myself, one of my customers, and Domi-Works. The images compare a Dodge 8HP70 with a GTO T-56. The 8HP70 is the gray outline and the T56 in black.

Here is the side view and you can see how the top profiles of the 8HP70 are about the same as a T56. Keep in mind that this will change a little bit with the 1" adapter installed, as the 8HP70 will sit one inch back.

This is the bottom view, and obviously the pan is wide, but the case profile is slim.

You can see that the case is slimmer in this top view.

This is the view from the rear...

The front view shows that the bellhousing overall diameter is about the same. This view also shows how much the 8HP pan extends down. I can tell by looking at this that the 8HP oil pan will be about 1" below a Holley 302-2/3 oil pan, which is very common for GM A-body LS swaps.

and lastly a couple of 3/4 views from two different angles...

I hope these images can help people better understand the fitment requirements. Judging by these pictures, I don't think that I will have to do anything to the tunnel in the Cougar to make this work. It actually looks like the transmissions mounts are very closely aligned.

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (10-29-2023), jarhead (07-11-2024)
Old 10-28-2023, 11:36 PM

Here are the images comparing the Dodge 8HP70 with a 4L80e.

Looking at the side view, you can see that the top profile of the 8HP70 basically follows the outline of the 4L80e.

The bottom view shows how the 8HP pan has a much smaller foot print.

From the top view you can see that the 8HP is a little wider in the area where the bellhousing transitions into the main art of the case.

The rear view shows the depth of the 8HP oil pan in the rear.

From looking at these pictures, I am pretty sure that the 8HP70 will fit where ever a 4L80e fits. If your particular vehicle needs to have the tunnel modified to use a T56 or a 4L80e, then similar modifications will be required for the 8HP70.

It also looks like the transmission mount will be very similar to the 4L80e location and to the T56 location. I will be using a TCP weld together crossmember kit. It has a universal transmission mount pad that needs to be welded in place.

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (10-29-2023), cla5675 (10-29-2023), WSSix (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 08:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's interesting, Andrew. Do you have any concerns about it holding up to the abuse the Cougar can give it?

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 10-29-2023, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
That's interesting, Andrew. Do you have any concerns about it holding up to the abuse the Cougar can give it?
There seem to be plenty of swaps that have been done with the 8HP70 with similar or more power than what the Cougar makes. The 70 stands for the torque rating, which in this case is 700Nm, which is 516lf/ft. By comparison GM rates the 4L80e at 440lb/ft, and we know how durable those transmissions can be even in stock form.

I have two friends that are doing this swap at the same time. The other cars are a 66 Fairlane with a LSx454 and a 2004 BMW M3 with a LT1/LT4 engine combination. All three cars are in the 600-700HP range.

I actually thought there would be more interest here. This transmission is basically becoming the LS of the transmission world. There are adapter plates available for every popular performance engine out there, new or old.

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
C1069 (01-08-2024), camcojb (10-30-2023), Ketzer (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:29 AM

Exploring modern transmission swaps can be quite intriguing, especially when it comes to the ZF 8HP range. It's great to see the interest in the 8HP swap grow, and kudos to Tom for securing those transmissions and working on modifications. These transmissions do have their complexities, but the potential benefits are exciting. Looking forward to hearing more Futbol libre from those interested in this swap, especially in combination with Holley EFI. Keep us posted, Andrew

Last edited by shinchane101; 11-01-2023 at 12:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shinchane101 For This Useful Post:
andrewb70 (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:30 PM

Today Tom received a little care package from Sweden. We received all three kits and everything was packaged very nicely.

This is the little PCB board that needs to be soldered in place where the stock TCU lives.

I was actually shocked to see how small the PCB board is. The TurboLamik TCU is not huge, but it is quite a bit larger than the stock TCU. I suspect that ZF has a lot of very talented electronics hardware engineers working for them and that the stock TCU probably uses some ASICs, while the TurboLamik uses more readily available, larger, general purpose chip sets. I also suspect that this si why everyone that tries to get around the stock TCU limits eventually hits a wall. That is because the ASICs have built in hardware limits that just can't be exceeded with software hacking. The TurboLamik has no such limitations and thus is more flexible.

The sleeve on the left is the adapter to use an earlier transmission where the converter snouts had a smaller diameter. We won't need them, but it is nice that they it is included. All of the hardware is included and individually packaged.

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (10-30-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 08:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I had no idea they were finally making automatics that strong. I was easily impressed with all the gears they now have. Power capacity didn't even enter my mind. This is definitely interesting.

Btw, Tom bought the Forgeline's on his M3 from me. Small world. Wish we could have chatted longer when he came by to pick them up.

Thanks, Andrew

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
andrewb70 (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 01:51 PM

Very interesting.

I am such a manual transmission guy, that I have not paid too much attention to most of the newer automatics outside of watching what the 10 speeds have done with the ford s550 and f-150 platforms.

Appreciate the information and look forward to seeing how this will work and what it takes to integrate it into the holley.
2012 Corvette ZR1 | Bolt-Ons | Forgelines
2001 Trans-Am WS6 | Cam | Six Speed | Slow
1969 Mach 1 Fastback | New Project
Old 11-02-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
I had no idea they were finally making automatics that strong. I was easily impressed with all the gears they now have. Power capacity didn't even enter my mind. This is definitely interesting.

Btw, Tom bought the Forgeline's on his M3 from me. Small world. Wish we could have chatted longer when he came by to pick them up.

Thanks, Andrew
Tom completely reworked those wheels with different hoops to fit his e46. They look great. That car is going to hurt a lot of GT3 owner's feeling after he does the 8HP swap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBronco View Post
Very interesting.

I am such a manual transmission guy, that I have not paid too much attention to most of the newer automatics outside of watching what the 10 speeds have done with the ford s550 and f-150 platforms.

Appreciate the information and look forward to seeing how this will work and what it takes to integrate it into the holley.
I have never owned a hotrod with an automatic, so it will be a new experience for me. If you can even call these transmissions "automatic".

Andrew
My YouTube Channel