Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 08-08-2005, 08:49 PM

Cool Banks Project, Starting Final Assembly on Accel DFI and pressure chamber.

Howdy from Texas, I am building a Banks twin turbo truck, It is a '91 GMC Full Size 1/2 ton regular cab, I have installed a S&W racecars backhalf on the thing with a Strange Ford 9".

Well, I'm obviously new here and I have purchased a Banks Twin Turbo System from Jason at Banks.

I was really happy to find a forum where I could share info. and learn from other people that are installing the same parts.

The goal for me is to put the thing together and drive it on the street and race it occasionally, maybe even power tour it...a street/strip venture.

When I purchased the system, I also bought the Accel DFI system...as the project goes, the parts flow is good and final assembly is imminent.

I don't really have any questions for anyone, but I can share some info., so here goes.

To begin, if any one is going to use the Accel throttle body with the banks pressure chamber, it has been my experience that the lever that opens the butterfly's will not clear the bottom of the pressure chamber...I must stipulate that I believe there is more than one accel throttle body that might work a little better. Luckily for me, I had a perfect 5+" piece of metal in my collection that helped me out with this issue.

You can also see where I tapped the back of the intake with 1/2" NPT for the bypass valve...Gale was serious about this little issue of relieving the boost pressure when you let off...serious hardware in the pressure chamber to say the least...I wanted to call it the plenum or intake plenum because I also have a ZR1 and that's what we call it on the Corvette Forum, I don't know, Jason calls it the Pressure Chamber, so I can buy that. The last pic is in my garage at my house, the Banks project truck lives above the vette. Hope this helps someone in the world, I will continue to post progress here.

Rick

Last edited by threestar40; 08-08-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Rick.

Sounds like a cool project.

W.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 PM

Welcome aboard Rick, and thanks for the info.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome, Rick. Looking forward to seeing your project coming together.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 AM

looking very good mate. any chance of the specs of the engine your putting it on?

thnaks Chris.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:08 AM

It's coming together nicely Rick. I can't wait to see the I/C & piping.

BTW: Sweet fabric on the couch.
63 Nova 'Low Budget G-Machine' *SOLD*
Old 08-09-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4dr
BTW: Sweet fabric on the couch.
That's just how clean my parts are.

As far as the spec's on the motor it is a 400 block with a 327 crank.

That is 4.165" bore and 3.25" stroke...Iron Block...Iron Heads
The GN's get away with those iron heads, so if buick saw fit to do it, I am sticking to the same strategy. I may pay, but I am working very hard to intercool this thing. Crank is 4340 non-twist forging, Rods are Lunati Pro-Mod 6.125"...It works out to be a 354 with long rods. I am waiting on JE spherical dished custom pistons...aluminum is being cut as I write this.

Comp hydraulic roller valve train. The weak link is definitely the heads, but hey, I got two turbos . My 400 is .040" over and this will be this block's last hurrah for sure.

Tranny is a 4l80e with compushift.

The only things I am still scared of are the down pipes and the intake plumbing, everything else I've got pretty much sorted out.

Oh yeah, brakes are already done, factory in the front and wilwood disc's out back with hydroboost master cylinder.

I will try to build the rest of it out in the garage instead of on my couch in my office(it's an old couch)

Rick =)
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 AM

So the Accel DFI and intake that Banks sells has to me modified to get it to work with the rest of the system ??

I would hope that the stuff they sell would work together without the buyer having to make a bunch of changes.....
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69
So the Accel DFI and intake that Banks sells has to me modified to get it to work with the rest of the system ??

I would hope that the stuff they sell would work together without the buyer having to make a bunch of changes.....

There was a change made by Accel to a few throttle body's they sent us that we were not aware of. It was a small change in the height of the Throttle body which made fitment a problem. We have addressed the problem and we now make a new spacer that was a .400" taller to clear the throttle linkage and allow the boost tubes to properly align.
63 Nova 'Low Budget G-Machine' *SOLD*
Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Your Truck

Hey Streetstar40.....

Just wanted to let you know about this other site..........it'll help you out with some truck info as well.

I'm doing the same thing........I had my twin turbo in my 68 Camaro.......but have decided to put it into my 94 chevy truck...........build a sport truck with the twin turbo and leave the 68 a big block........anyway........just wanted to let you know about it if you didn't already.

Also........we need to get together sometime........I'm just right down the road in Houston. Let me know.

Here's the truck site.....

http://www.performancetrucks.net